Re: [WorldTransport] Polis note on London's congestio

  • Tramsol@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 1:02 PM
      Observations from an inbound traveller.

      Congestion already had an influence on user spending - I have travelled in on
      the overnight coach from Scotland for many years (when not using the train -
      currently the special offer is £10 return Glasgow-London against £38 for
      sleeper!).

      For many years the there was a significant 'disappearance' of HGV traffic
      from the M1 around 06.00 as it would appear that most hauliers were paying a
      premium rate for drivers to travel early and be dropping loads or clear of
      London when congestion hit.

      On my first post C-day trip it seemed that there were far more private cars
      on the road at 05.00 around J14 (Milton Keynes). All presumably trying to be
      in before the 07.00 deadline.

      The other message which I can believe, is that cross-zone trips will be
      discouraged, perhaps all that congestion was in fact caused by people who
      assumed that the fastest journey equated to the shortest distance, loading up
      the central zone roads with traffic just passing through (quite likely since
      most London parking spaces are taken by early morning for the day, and many
      spaces just outside the zone began to fill up by 06.00 when we were working
      in Kennington - the guy at the shoe repairs in Oval station has to get in by
      05.00 to get a space close enough to service the shop.)

      Dave Holladay
      Glasgow