World Streets Weekly digest for 13 December 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2010
      WordPress.com

      Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      Paris, Monday, 13 December, 2010

      World Streets Weekly Digest: 13 December 2010

      Transport, environment and public policy in hard times

      On 2 December the managing editor of World Streets, Eric Britton, was invited by the organizers of the National Autumn Conference of ACT TravelWise to present the keynote address, following an opening presentation by Norman Baker, MP and Parliamentary Undersecretary of State for Transport of the just-elected UK coalition government. The theme of the conference was "The Right to Travel - Getting more for less" -- and Britton was asked to bring in some international perspectives and possibly some less familiar ideas for the largely British audience after the Minister's presentation.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      America's Amsterdam? – Work in progress on the bike front in the Home of the Brave

      Eric Britton, editor | 8 December 2010 at 16:07 | Categories: cities, infrastructure, bike bicycle, cyclist | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-1dd

      When anyone talks or writes about city biking in America, Portland is invariably the first place one hears about. But how do they stack up to, say, the five hundred best cycling cities in Europe? Is there anything really there other than a bit of self-boostering in the otherwise hostile cycling environment that characterizes city after city across the Home of the Brave (which we understand is how cyclists are called in America). Let's see what Jay Walljasper has to sayafter talking a close look.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      The World - the Climate – the Strategy. Come argue with me.

      Part I: Ten steps to get the job done:
      Let me sketch out an easy to understand (or reject) climate/transport foundation strategy that presents some stark contrasts with the ideas and approaches that are getting the bulk of attention when it comes to targeting, policy and investment in the sector -- and which in a first instance is quite likely to earn me more enemies than friends (that goes with the territory). At least until such time that these basic underlying ideas are expressed in a manner which is sufficiently clear and convincing that we can with confidence put them to work to turn the tide. So here you have my first brief statement of the issues, the basic strategic frame and the key pressure points to which I invite your critical reactions and comments. In a second piece in this series, to follow shortly, I intend to have a look at the package(s) of measures, policies, tools, modes, etc. which can be sorted out, combined and refined to do something about it. Or maybe not.                  - Eric Britton, Editor

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      | 8-10, rue Joseph Bara 75006 Paris.  | +331 75503788. | eric.britton@...  |  Skype:  newmobility  |