World Streets : Weekly digest for 6 December 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2010
      WordPress.com

      Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      World Streets : Weekly digest for 6 December 2010

      Dutch cycle infrastructure quality drives one cyclist crazy

      Not Holland

      It will drive you crazy, at least it does this cyclist. The quiet Dutch voice of reason while they so patiently try to help us understand that a cycling nation or city is not built overnight. But put aside your prejudices (and your prides), and spend five minutes with the Dutch cycling guru Mark Wagenbuur while he rides us through the history of cycle infrastructure in the Netherlands. (There had to be a reason for it.)

      Not Holland  .

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Will the real British local transport policy please stand up.

      About two weeks ago I sent out a red flag to a short list of my most respected British transport/environment colleagues with a cry for help in preparation for a keynote speech I had been asked to deliver to a conference scheduled to take place this Thursday, 2 December, in Liverpool, and where the speaker just before me is a respected ministerial representative of the latest British government. I confessed to my distinguished British friends that I was at best half-educated in terms of the current policy and practice debate in Britain and needed a fast tutorial before exposing myself to a critical audience. They responded fast, generously and most usefully as you will soon see here in a follow-up piece to the conference; but one of the responses opened up his perceptive comments with an amusing analogy which I thought you might enjoy this morning.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      The Road Transport/Energy Challenge in India

      "A few weeks ago, we (India Streets) had reported about India's plans to reduce the climate change impact from its transportation sector. However, we saw that India's plan, like many other plans out there, attempts to tackle the problem almost entirely by improving vehicle and fuel technology without adequately dealing with the most important factor - the number of vehicle-kilometers travelled. In the article below, we will read Prof. Madhav Badami of McGill University argue that "[fuel economy improvements will do little to mitigate [climate] impacts, and might even exacerbate them to the extent that the improvements increase motor vehicle activity by reducing the costs of driving... On the other hand, measures to curb vehicle-kilometers can provide major “co-benefits” by helping control energy consumption and related emissions, as well as other transport impacts."

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      India Streets - on-line at www.IndiaStreets.org

      Nuova Mobilità in Italy - at http://nuovamobilita.org