World Streets: Weekly digest for 22 November 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2010
      WordPress.com

                               Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      "Where do good ideas come from?"

      Eric Britton, editor | 17 November 2010 at 08:28 | Categories: book report, collaboration, idea building | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-17U

      As our regular readers know well, World Streets is in the collaborative idea-building business to define, reinforce and advance the New Mobility Agenda on streets and in cities around the world. So whenever we hear about something or someone who can help us sharpen our vision and tools, we are a willing audience. Today we are pleased to share with you a sharp five-minute brainstorming presentation that the popular science writer Steven Johnson has recently made on exactly our topic. You can buy his intriguing book under this title if you click here. But for now, sit back and let's hear to what Steven has to share with us on idea-building

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      1.4285714285714285714285714285714 e-10

      With the world's population to pass seven billion next year– meaning that my and your fair share of the world's resources will be on the order of 1.4285714285714285714285714285714e-10 – it is time perhaps to give some consideration as to who "owns" what on this sweltering planet. The very concept of ownership digs very deep into the psyche and the way in which the owned object is used. Let's take your or my car for example. The odds are that one of us is an owner – and it is well known there is not a single country, a single city on this planet in which the owners of automobiles pay even a small fraction of their total cost to society. What does that mean in this particular case?

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Fighting Traffic: The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City

      http://streetworks.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/nyc-mulberry-street-1900.jpg?w=214&h=169#038;h=169The author of this careful and quite extensive book review of the battle for America's streets is Karthik Rao-Cavale, a graduate student at Rutgers University and an associate editor of our sister publication, India Streets. He writes: "This review was originally written for a class I am taking with Prof. John Pucher here at Rutgers University. I am putting up this review here even though the book reviewed talks mainly about the United States, because I feel that the lessons learned are most immediately applicable to developing world. It is a lengthy read, but I hope you will enjoy it."

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      India Streets - on-line at www.IndiaStreets.org

      Nuova Mobilità in Italy at http://nuovamobilita.org