World Streets: Weekly digest for 15 November 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2010
      WordPress.com

                               Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      India Steers Full Speed towards Low Carbon Transport

      We do not normally carry media releases on projects, programs, reports or books, but today we make an exception and are gladly posting the following important announcement. We share this both here, in India Streets and on the Sustran Global South forum for comment and discussion. It is our firm intention to keep an independent eye on this potentially promising program, and our firm hope that the money spent and technical resources brought to the job will result above all in multiplying the number of many and diverse on-street examples of how sustainable mobility works in the interest of the entire population -- and not just the privileged (automotive and relatively affluent) few. As William Blake put it roughly two centuries ago: “He who would do good to another must do it in minute particulars." We pledge keep as eye on the minute particulars, in the hope that we are going to see examples of policies and practices not only for India but for the world.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      The P2P carsharing saga continues: The WhipCar story

      Eric Britton, editor | 10 November 2010 at 07:30 | Categories: behavior, business plan, cars, carshare, sharing | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-13b

      WhipCar is a very recent British start-up in the still little known peer-to-peer car owner/rental business.  World Streets recently interviewed the group's founders and managers, Tom Wright and Vinay Gupta, to get at their side of this unfolding rather surprising 21st century alternate car story.  (And the first thing they told us was that it's not quite carsharing. Let's have a look.)

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Rough trade on the streets of Bogota

      This piece reports on a wave of unanticipated "free enterprise" mobility solutions that have cropped up in the city of Bogotá in the last years. One bottom line is that these pedicabs represent a challenge for government on several scores. But at the same time they are providing affordable transportation  for people (voters) who need to make those trips. Now that you know this, what follows is a rough and ready machine translation of an article that appeared in the local paper, El Tiempo, yesterday. If you are interested in the topic you can learn a lot from these lines. And if you wish it in beautiful language, well strap on your best Spanish and click hereSeguir pedaleando.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Locked in Suburbia: Is there life after Autopia?

      Something like ten percent of our lonely planet's population are today thoroughly locked in -- or at least think they are -- to an "automotive life style".   While in barely two generations  the earth's population has  tripled, the automotive age has, step by silent surreptitious step, changed the way we live -- and in the process made us http://worldstreets.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/cars-intersection.jpg?w=300&h=145#038;h=145prisoners of just that technology that was supposed to make us free forever. That's a bad joke and bad news. But there is worse yet, and it comes in two ugly bites. For starters, in addition to the ten percent of us already hapless prisoners of our cars, another twenty percent of our soon seven billion brothers and sisters are standing in line eagerly in the hope of getting  locked in as quickly as possible. And as if that were not bad enough, the consensus among most of the experts and policy makers is that our goose is forever cooked, and there is little anybody  can do about it. Well, maybe not. Spend some time this Monday morning with Paul Mees, as he attacks this received belief and suggests . . . Well, why don't I just get out of the way and let Paul speak for himself.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      India Streets - on-line at www.IndiaStreets.org

      Nuova Mobilità in Italy at http://nuovamobilita.org