World Streets : Weekly digest for 8 November 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8 1:02 AM

                               Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      Happy Diwali. (Thank you Pallavi.)

      Eric Britton, editor | 5 November 2010 at 18:57 | Categories: culture, event, tradition | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-168

      Happy Diwali. (Thank you Pallavi.)Today at the end of the very first week of publication of our brave new India Streets, we like to take a page out of the book of our associate editor Pallavi Pant who wished us all today "Happy Diwali". And since I for one ("I" in this case being Eric Britton, an editor of India Streets) really did not understand what it was about beyond a kind of "Hindu New Year + Thanksgiving" (sorry!), I had to look it up. And for those of you who share my i … Read More

      via India Streets

      Add a comment to this post

      Parking realities in the real world: An example from Calcutta

      Eric Britton, editor | 4 November 2010 at 10:44 | Categories: cars, corruption, parking, policy | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-164

      Paul Barter reports on the basic principles of parking and real world contradictions from Calcutta, in an article posted yesterday to his new blog "Reinventing Parking: Understand your community's parking policy choices". And as many of our readers will recognise, it's an old old story.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Vision and virtuosity in the Big Apple: Managing the transformative moment

      Dear Mrs. Mayor,

      If you are considering a public bicycle project for your city, may we respectfully urge you to take a page out of New York City's book on transportation innovation in the context of a previously car-based city.  So before your project  starts exposing hundreds, thousands of innocent people to the daily dangers of untamed traffic, think first to plan and build those key hundreds of kilometers of protected city cycling provision for the men, women and children of all ages who will be taking to your streets.  After all, that's your job.

      The editor, World Streets

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      The benefits of being Obama

      Eric Britton, editor | 1 November 2010 at 10:26 | Categories: New Mobility | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-15I

      This article published today by our colleague and associate editor of India Streets, Karthik Rao-Cavale in his outstanding blog "India lives in her cities too!", provides an excellent example of the kind of clear thinking that is needed in the face of abundant contradictions that constitute life on India's streets. Would it not be a wonderful thing if President Obama were to be invited to walk the streets and see for himself this aspect of daily life in one of the world's greatest cities. I am sure that he would be moved to a far greater degree than sitting down to one more boring and inevitably hypocritical State Dinner. And he would go back to his crushing work load in Washington a far better friend of India. I promise.
      - Eric Britton. Editor., India Streets.

      The latest news from Mumbai is that President Obama is about to visit, and all the routes he might possibly take are being beautified. Some of them are even being adorned with date palm trees, despite these trees being completely inappropriate for Mumbai's humid climate. And alongside, anti-encroachment drives are being carried out to evict "illegal" hawkers squatting on the pavements. This prompted one KRP Gupta to ask why it is that while Obama … Read More

      via India lives in her cities too!

      Add a comment to this post

      India Streets - on-line at www.IndiaStreets.org

      Nuova Mobilità in Italy at http://nuovamobilita.org