World Streets: Weekly digest for 1 November 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 4:50 AM

      Short takes

      Eric Britton, editor | 29 October 2010 at 11:05 | Categories: behavior, media, short takes | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-15z

      Put off reading this article.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Honk! One really does try to be balanced . . .

      Eric Britton, editor | 26 October 2010 at 19:19 | Categories: cars, infrastructure, investment, politics | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-14H

      . . . and not allow oneself to get caught in every political elephant trap and querulous carping of those not in office. But there are times when it is necessary to shine the spotlight on a really mean-spirited, disingenuous idea or statement about the important matters which bring us all here. This is one of those cases. We introduce you to a very short video in which Britain's new transport secretary talks very clearly about his investment priorities and intended policies. Very disturbing to World Streets.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Carsharing in Sweden: 2010 Update

      Eric Britton, editor | 25 October 2010 at 15:58 | Categories: carshare, sharing | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-13D

      This latest country survey from Sweden provides and update and excellent coverage of the carshare situation there, thanks to Per Schillander of the SRA. More than 18,000 registered drivers, almost 60 different programs, and at last count 573 vehicles. You will want to read this in parallel with his comprehensive report from last winter:

      Car Sharing in Sweden in 2010 Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Ringroading and Mumbai's spatial structure

      Eric Britton, editor | 25 October 2010 at 11:47 | Categories: New Mobility | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-13x

      One week exactly before India Streets opens for the public, we are pleased to share this preview with you on some transport/land use issues that will look familiar to many in many parts of the world.

      Ringroading and Mumbai's spatial structureMumbai is currently undergoing historic but unnoticed changes that might possibly alter its urban structure beyond anyone’s imagination. It’s monocentric structure that aligned the entire city towards the downtown in South Bombay is likely to change very soon. Indeed, this process has already begun. I used to live in Navi Mumbai in 2009, and I would sometimes take the harbour line train to south Bombay. Each time, I would notice that the majority … Read More

      via India Streets (Beta)

      Add a comment to this post