World Streets - Weekly digest for 25 October 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2010
      WordPress.com

      To receive the daily or weekly summaries of World Streets news and postings, click here (top right): www.WorldStreets.org

      Op-Ed: Hassaan Ghazali on Public Transport in the Punjab

      This is the first shared posting from India Streets, a sister program to W/S that is to open for publication on 1 November. At this point the site is still in Beta. Your visits and comments for improvement are most welcome.

      Op-Ed: Hassaan Ghazali on Public Transport in the Punjab"If you think the NATO oil tankers have a rough time in Pakistan, spare a thought for the masses which use the local transport system. The manner in which buses, rickshaws and strange articulated three-wheelers ply on our roads makes it obvious that there is nothing really ‘public’ about public transport anymore. We have instead condemned the majority of the population, many of whom are poor, women and elderly, to a veritable shakedown staged by …

      Read More via India Streets (Beta)

      Add a comment to this post

      "The end of the parking meter"

      Eric Britton, editor | 21 October 2010 at 17:11 | Categories: cars, cities, parking, policy | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-13k

      This article  by Tom Vanderbilt appeared in yesterday's Wired offering a readable review of the history of this remarkable American transportation invention and gift to the world, with good references to Donald Shoup's monumental "The High Cost of Free Parking" and Paul Barter's Reinventing Parking blog. Every regular reader of World Streets is well aware that strategic parking control is one of the key pillars to a city transport system that is doing its job -- but whether or not the key to this is going to be the old parking meter, well that we can leave you to judge.

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      For your next Car Free Day, go on a diet.

      Eric Britton, editor | 20 October 2010 at 01:44 | Categories: carfree, event, health safety, policy, psychology | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-VA

      "When it comes to transport, we've become obese. I mean this in multiple senses. Our population of vehicles has burgeoned; already around 1 billion worldwide, it’s expected to double within just 20 years. The vehicle miles we travel, or VMT, continue to swell; just in the U.S., for instance, VMT now fluctuates around 250 billion per month – trillions per year – and grows each month by an average 200 million more. Even our waistlines have expanded due to excess motor vehicle travel; one study attributes six extra pounds to the extra driving done by typical suburbanites."

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Commuting your way to divorce

      Eric Britton, editor | 18 October 2010 at 09:50 | Categories: behavior, commuting, economics, media, reprinted | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-12T

      One of the persistent themes of World Streets is that both the starting and the ending place for  what is often called "transportation" or "infrastructure" are not about concrete, steel or rubber, nor infrastructure, vehicles or even electronics, but people -- ordinary people like you and me in our day-to-day lives. Here in a short piece by the behavioral economist Robert Frank that appeared in Saturday's New York Times is a single paragraph (toward the bottom and conveniently in red here) which provides  us with one more  trenchant reminder that reminds us of the importance of starting with people. And the high cost of tailing to do just that

      . Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post