Are We Building New Roads and Highways Based on Incorrect Data

  • Lee Schipper [mailto:schipper@wri.org]
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2010

      From: Lee Schipper [mailto:schipper@...]
      Sent: Thursday, 14 October, 2010 19:55

      The US has NOT measured vehicle use (as opposed to counting axle impressions and deriving TRAFFIC numbers) in many years.  Reagan ditched the really serious parts of the household vehicle use survey that included fuel consumption diaries. The 1995 and 2001 Household Travel surveys were substantially complete, but the Bush Administration only funded part of the 2008/9 household survey (NHTS). We have some idea of traffic, but not how humans move in way accurately enough to really understand issues related to congestion, to the relationship between where you live and where you work AND what modes you use (although metropolitan travel surveys do tell us a lot). The problem is that in the end we build roads, then argue for expensive systems like high speed rail but still continue to build the roads.

      Oops we are out of money now and things MIGHT change.  But we can't change without good measures of how we move and how that is changing.  Imagine all the media who called me in 2008 to ask how Americans have changed their travel patterns in response to higher oil prices. "Wait until the new National Household Travel Survey" emerges in 2010.  Well, it emerged, but only with the 1 day "travel day" survey, not the part that covers roughly a third of our passenger-kilometers that take place over more than one day.  So we don't know how the higher fuel prices affected our travel patterns on a national level.

      Other countries do this surveying yearly, or even have continuous rotating panels. In the US the money has to be begged for years, and the very existence and fielding of the 2008/9 survey was up in the air for a long time.

      Imagine if I went to the doctor with last year's blood pressure, Eric's urine sample, and my neighbor's pulse, and asked the doctor what was wrong. That is how the US understands travel patterns, particualrly as they relate to fuel use and emissions.

      Harumph I say

      Lee Schipper, Ph.D.

      Project Scientist, Global Metropolitan Studies, UC Berkeley

      Senior Research Engineer, Precourt Energy Efficiency Center, Stanford Univ.

      phone +1 510 642 6889

      fax      +1 510 642 6061

      cell for emergencies +1 202 262 7476

      PS. How did you get my urine sample Lee? eb