IT and transport

  • Jonathan Cooper Allen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2003
      My understanding of why IT has not yet lowered our transport volume is rather simple, but to state the obvious: employers still like to see a fair bit of their employees (i.e., have them come to the workplace), and consumers still like to examine the merchandise (by going to a store). While it is true that the City of Los Angeles saves both itself and its employees milllions each year with telecommuting, and internet commerce continues to grow, we still have to convince employers and consumers better as to all of the advantages of handling things electronically (and how to insure the quality of the result).

      ZipCar is a good example of an IT implementation which requires an educated, well served public (which it certainly has in Boston). They need to appreciate the efficiency of a fully automated reservation and deployment system, and all that it involves. Those who don't, will be confused at why it attracts so many.

      Jonathan Cooper Allen
      11 Prince Street
      Brookline, MA 02445-7504

      Only $9.95 per month!