World Streets : Weekly digest for 4 October 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2010
      WordPress.com

      Sharing: Humankind's oldest technology is ready for a comeback

      Long before automobiles and even science humankind discovered sharing tools, housing, roads, and wharfs, a natural way to reduce scarce labour and materials. And long before Adam Smith, we used the “profit” from such sharing to develop specialized skills and knowledge, both of which required sharing, and to build shared infrastructure. Now that we face [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Parks vs. Parking: What do Indian cities need?

      Eric Britton, editor | 30 September 2010 at 12:53 | Categories: India, public space, sharing, social space, street | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-10K

      Chennai had prepared a plan some years ago for a multi-storey parking deck  in T. Nagar where the Panagal Park now stands. T Nagar, once a quiet residential neighbourhood, is now the shopping centre for all of Chennai and has tremendous levels of congestion. The parking plan was called off due to protests by walkers [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Energy and Equity, Ivan Illich.

      Eric Britton, editor | 29 September 2010 at 08:58 | Categories: bike bicycle, energy, equity, philosophy, public space, vision | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-10e

      Earlier this week I proposed the idea of a group read and commentary on Illich's incisive and important 1974 book "Energy and Equity", but as I thrashed through my personal library I was unable to lay my hands on what I remember as a small book with a yellow cover. Luckily Jane Voodikon, a Jason [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      On the road with one of Cairo's first female taxi drivers

      Eric Britton, editor | 28 September 2010 at 10:22 | Categories: media, pattern change, taxi, women | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-101

      We cannot of course be sure if you are following all of our web of key themes that together create the bedrock of World Streets, but two of these that are most important to us are (a) the importance of "pattern change" and, of course our old friends will say, (b) the role of women [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Sharing: Strategy for a Small Planet

      - Keynote address by Eric Britton, Co-Chair of the World Share/Transport Forum, to the first international Share/Transport Conference. Kaohsiung. 16 Sept. 2010 I appreciate this opportunity to share with this distinguished international audience by way of introduction to the presentations and discussions that will now follow a few words on why I think that the [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post