First urban railway route in Hanoi under construction

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2010
      Is this a possibility? Each time that one of our major international
      institutions is called on to finance such a possibly inappropriate project,
      we ask for their support to prepare a Plan B. showing how an alternative
      series of investments and policies could, for the same amount of money, have
      a more positive, most sustainable and more just (and much faster) impact on
      the city.

      With the right team behind and the necessary resources, a credible job of a
      sketch plan could be completed in a couple of months max.

      I promise you that this could be done and done well. But we do need to sell
      the idea.

      From: eric britton <eric.britton@...>
      Date: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM
      construction

      Source:

      http://english.vietnamnet.vn/social/201009/First-urban-railway-route-in-Hano

      i-under-construction-937891/ (With AD's comment: " Looking forward to see
      the fare and wonder how could they make it more tempted than that of riding
      a motorcycle for people."

      As someone who loves Vietnam deeply and has a bit of experience in transport
      in cities, including in Asia, I find this very distressing and all too
      familiar. Why on earth should anyone in a situation in which transport OD
      requirements are many-to-many and all-the-time, decide to spend scarce
      taxpayer dollars on a terrible expensive 19th century mobility system.

      If the French really want to help Hanoi, they should be proposing a light
      on-surface Strasburg style tramway. They could make their money and do good
      at the same time. But an 80 kph heavy rail system in the middle of the city
      and costing a billion Euros (as surely it will), is no kind favor.

      Shame on you European Investment Bank and Asian Development Bank for going
      along with this hubris-inspired billion dollar mistake.

      Eric Britton

      WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org | Skype: newmobility
      8, rue Jospeh Bara | Paris 75006 France | +331 7550 3788

      "..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
      to destroy the city"

      Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
      Munich 1970

      Sujit Patwardhan
      patwardhan.sujit@...
      sujitjp@...
      --------
      Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
      Tel: +91 20 25537955
      Cell: +91 98220 26627
      --------
      Parisar: www.parisar.org