First urban railway route in Hanoi under construction

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2010
      Source:
      http://english.vietnamnet.vn/social/201009/First-urban-railway-route-in-Hano
      i-under-construction-937891/ (With AD's comment: " Looking forward to see
      the fare and wonder how could they make it more tempted than that of riding
      a motorcycle for people."

      As someone who loves Vietnam deeply and has a bit of experience in transport
      in cities, including in Asia, I find this very distressing and all too
      familiar. Why on earth should anyone in a situation in which transport OD
      requirements are many-to-many and all-the-time, decide to spend scarce
      taxpayer dollars on a terrible expensive 19th century mobility system.

      If the French really want to help Hanoi, they should be proposing a light
      on-surface Strasburg style tramway. They could make their money and do good
      at the same time. But an 80 kph heavy rail system in the middle of the city
      and costing a billion Euros (as surely it will), is no kind favor.

      Shame on you European Investment Bank and Asian Development Bank for going
      along with this hubris-inspired billion dollar mistake.

      Eric Britton

      WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org | Skype: newmobility
      8, rue Jospeh Bara | Paris 75006 France | +331 7550 3788
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2010
        Is this a possibility? Each time that one of our major international
        institutions is called on to finance such a possibly inappropriate project,
        we ask for their support to prepare a Plan B. showing how an alternative
        series of investments and policies could, for the same amount of money, have
        a more positive, most sustainable and more just (and much faster) impact on
        the city.

        With the right team behind and the necessary resources, a credible job of a
        sketch plan could be completed in a couple of months max.

        I promise you that this could be done and done well. But we do need to sell
        the idea.

        From: eric britton <eric.britton@...>
        Date: Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM
[...]

        "..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
        to destroy the city"

        Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
        Munich 1970

        Sujit Patwardhan
        patwardhan.sujit@...
        sujitjp@...
        --------
        Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
        Tel: +91 20 25537955
        Cell: +91 98220 26627
        --------
        Parisar: www.parisar.org