Re: WorldTransport Forum How many more conferences??

  • Richard Layman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2010
      change takes decades.  When I was talking to my ex-boss about building a complete robust infrastructure for walking and biking in Baltimore County, MD (800,000+ residents, 660 sq. miles) she countered, how much did it cost to build the road system (many billions) and how long did it take (50 years)?  (My most recent job was as a temporary grant funded bicycle and pedestrian planner in Baltimore County, MD, where I project managed the creation of a bike and ped plan.  They edited out about 1/2 of what I wrote, but for the most part, the relatively robust recommendations have remained in the final draft document, www.baltimorecountymd.gov/westbikeped).

      It wasn't until I was about 45 years old (now I am 50), when I really started to understand (even though I studied and practiced social change and organizational development and community organizing in college and my first job outside of a college town was for a national scale consumer group with 250,000 members) how long it takes for social change to come about.

      Even a fast tracked transportation project--at least in the U.S.--takes 8-10 years.  The planning processes for light rail and subway projects is 3-4 times that.

      When you are working to change paradigms (cf. Kuhn _Structure of Scientific Revolutions_, Rogers' _Diffusion of Innovations_, maybe Katz and Kahn's _Social Psychology of Organizations_, plus Wright and Fung and John Friedmann, and these articles from a 2009 issue of Stanford Business School's quarterly magazine

      it takes a whole lot longer.

      That doesn't make it any easier to take.

      But the other thing you need to think about is marketing ideas, marketing and implementing social change, "design thinking," etc.

      I have developed over the past few years what I call an action planning perspective.

      Action planning:

      - uses the design method and design thinking instead of relatively static rational planning processes
      - social marketing
      - branding and identity systems
      - delivered through integrated systems of programs, policies, and services, including support systems of encouragement and educaction
      - on a foundation of participatory democracy, civic engagement, and empowerment.

      Even that takes a whole lot of time.  (Some of the examples that have influenced me are the transportation demand management programs of Arlington County, Virginia, and of course, the State of Victoria in Australia, the Idea Store repositioning of the libraries in the Tower Hamlets borough in London, and the resident attraction program Live Baltimore, in Baltimore City, Maryland.)

      And by the time you figure out what to do you are getting "long in the tooth", not to mention that most traditional organizations, especially local governments, are pretty conservative and unwilling to hire or keep on people pushing for change.

      I joke that I ended up working in the private sector because despite my best efforts, interests, and inclinations, the public/nonprofit drove me out.  What I am doing now (more about that maybe when we get some wins) is working for a startup focused on the development and implementation of integrated systems of bicycle facilities.

      At the same time Eric, I will tell you my complaint about conferences, as much as I love them.  I state that for the most part they are still at the level of case studies, and that we aren't utilizing conferences to adequately capture and use learning in practical, focused ways.

      Here's what I say we need to do as people, within and outside of our professions, when it comes to bringing about urban revitalization and transportation improvements.  We need to:

      - indicate --figure out what we are doing/what we did, what works, what doesn't and why, and build the frameworks and typologies so we can do something with the information;

      - duplicate --after we figured it out, and have the right frameworks, structures, processes, plans, apply the knowledge somewhere else, successfully, and ideally more quickly based on the previous learning

      - communicate --after you've figured it out and "proven" that it works by duplicating it in places other than the first, communicate the results -- wrt your conference in China, you need to look at what you are doing to, why is it that people aren't learning driven (but that's a whole other issue that is not solvable within my lifetime)

      - replicate -- scale up the change, communicate out the info and process, through workshops, etc., across knowledge networks and communities of practice, and move change forward.

      Rogers is excellent for understanding why change takes so long.  I do think Malcolm Gladwell's _Tipping Point_, which for the most part merely reinterprets Rogers, does add to the discourse in his discussion of how to accelerate the diffusion of new ideas and change in his discussion of connectors (which isn't much different from Clyde Brown's work in college student program development from the 1960s and 1970s), "salesmen" (people who are great at convincing other people to change their behaviors), and "mavens" -- experts who know everything about a subject but only make a limited amount of headway in getting change to happen.

      We need to be all three -- mavens, connectors, and salesmen -- at once.  Most of us are not.  I am pretty good at being a maven and a connector.  The salesman piece is harder, but I am getting better at it...

      Richard Layman
      now, director of business development and community engagement
      BicyclePASS LLC
      Washington, DC

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2010

        Couple of quick points about my mail on this of 4 Sept.

        1.     The planned date for India conference of the World Share/Transport Forum is 2012 (not 2010).

        2.     I really believe in this approach and I do hope that many of you will follow the manner in which we are trying to open the door in Kaohsiung, along with the rather broad array of ways of following up (collaborative workshops, master classes, city dialogues, etc.). Now that's at Www.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org

        3.     And of course everything that I have said with really quite a bit of passion on the topic of the huge split between what is known and appreciated at the leading edge in India, and the for the most part terribly backward polices and investments that rule the day in our sector in that great and sprawling country --- well that can of course be equally said of my much beloved native country the USA (and believe me it's not always easy), which is not only racing steadily backward in terms of all the key global indicators in our sector, but is in the process serving as the perverse model and excuse for all the rest.

        I am by the blood that runs in my veins an optimist. And I know that a number of us and yet others are going to get together to bring the share/transport agenda into the leading edge of transport policy and practice in many parts of the world – and I want you to now that I am already boiling to work with you all to make it a major shaping event in India, as soon as we can get to work on it. Today might be a good day to start.

        Sharing, after all, is our only choice.

        Eric Britton

      • Rishi Aggarwal
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2010
          Dear Eric, Kanthi and friends,

          The key point is reaching beyond the congregation of the converted and getting in touch with those people on whose behalf we do all this championing. The m/woman on the street is removed from solution finding even as they are concerned and affected. They  dont even know who their local elected representative is and what government means beyond a 10- digit G Word. They dont know political economy, they dont understand how their taxes are collected and in the various number of ways. They dont understand the people who sit down with the tax kitty and do the allocations. While the converted are in thousands, the lost are in their millions. Get to these millions and make them do even a tenth of the efforts we put in and viola we have change. This is what conferences should focus on. Not on fancy report writers. No intention of being rude but its high time we put limited energy and resource in doing what is needed.

          Eric I will follow what is happening at Kaohsiung and get back with specific suggestions. Good its 2012!

          On 7 September 2010 12:12, Kanthi Kannan <kanthikannan@...> wrote:
          Dear Eric and others

          To search the archives of sustran-discuss visit

          If you get sustran-discuss via YAHOOGROUPS, please go to
          http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss to join the real
          sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

          SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
          equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries
          (the 'Global South').