World Streets: Weekly digest for 6 September 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2010
      WordPress.com

      A very busy week on World Streets, which in addition to our usual excellent articles and world-wide coverage is bringing you some of the most internationally relevant papers being prepared in support of next week's first World Share/Transport Forum in Kaohsiung, concerning which of course you can read all about at Www.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org.

      Also for a quick update on the content and contributions of the Jason Chang International Fellows program, have a look at http://future.sharetransport.org/, where you will also find good information on both the program goals and contents but also the cultural program which aims to give the international visitors a real taste of life in Southern Taiwan.

      And next year in China. And 2012 in India. Be a part of it. Sharing: Smarter than you thought.

      Kaohsiung 2010 Papers: Employer Share/Transport

      E. Britton, editor | 6 September 2010 at 01:39 | Categories: Kaohsiung, economics, more choices, parking, rideshare, sharing | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-XE

      Rory McMullan, Project Administrator of this year's Kaohsiung conference, is one of the keynote speakers in the session which is reporting on ride/sharing as a tool for affordable and fair sustainable transport in and around our cities world-wide. In this presentation he undertakes to introduce a range of employer share/transport services for larger pubic sector [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      No need for speed

      E. Britton, editor | 4 September 2010 at 02:07 | Categories: event, health safety, media, shared space, slower, street | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-VF

      As our regular readers know well, World/Streets believes that there are a lot of excellent reasons for slowing down. And every time we run into something that we think can help advance this worthy objective, well here we are. This time the irrepressible Elizabeth Press, peripatetic videographer from New York City's StreetFilms project, got on [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Kaohsiung 2010 Papers: Thoughts on Share/Transport from Chengdu, China

      E. Britton, editor | 3 September 2010 at 17:47 | Categories: Kaohsiung, climate, policy, public transport, sharing | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-Xm

      This essay has been contributed by one of the 2010 Jason Chang International Fellows, Jane Voodikon, who introduces herself as follows: "Since my interest in transportation and planning is purely personal - I have no professional background in any transportation-related field - I hope to walk away from Kaohsiung 2010 with a more informed picture [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Kaohsiung 2010 Papers: Are streets meant for travel alone?

      This essay contests the idea that streets are for travel alone by critically examining the logic and language employed by the elite to delegitimize two marginalized groups using streets for non-travel purposes: hawkers and pavement-dwellers. Further, court cases interpreting constitutional guarantees in the context of hawkers and pavement-dwellers are examined. Based on these discussions, an [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Kaohsiung 2010 Papers: Share/Transport in India - Threats, Challenges, Opportunities

      Sharing is an inherently natural process of establishing a joint use of resources It is a primarily self-initiated and regulated process. In this regard share transport can be seen as an informal, unregulated or loosely regulated, low-cost (even works on micro credit, when loose change is unavailable to complete the transaction), small or medium scale [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Kaohsiung 2010 Papers: On ride-sharing and efficiency

      E. Britton, editor | 2 September 2010 at 01:47 | Categories: cars, rideshare, sharing | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-WE

      When I was at university the only way I could afford to get home was to share a car with someone. I set up a notice board in the student union to help me find a lift home. The notice board quickly became popular and every weekend there were lots of people offering and seeking [...]

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      Kaohsiung 2010 Papers: Making ridesharing easy

      E. Britton, editor | 1 September 2010 at 12:59 | Categories: cars, pilot project, rideshare, sharing | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-Wr

      As I sat in traffic on Auckland's North-Western motorway, all alone in my cocoon, I could see that others were doing the same. Looking across, I could see each person, alone in their car, and I wondered if they might be heading to the same place as me?

      Read more of this post

      Add a comment to this post

      What Transportation And Public Health Can Learn From Each Other About Changing Public Behaviors

      E. Britton, editor | 1 September 2010 at 02:27 | Categories: behavior, health safety, knowledge, psychology | URL: http://wp.me/psKUY-Vq

      Which of the following is more likely to get you to drive slower down a street? Or to get the majority of car drivers on that street to slow down? • A long talk with a friend about the dangers of speeding to yourself and others. &#

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)