RE: [WorldTransport] boost in transportation by IST?

  • Wetzel Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
      Dear Thomas
      Many thanks for this e-mail.
      I attach a short note on land value capture.
      If you would like more info pls contact me.

      Dave

      Dave Wetzel
      Vice-Chair, Transport for London
      Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
        Hello Dave,

        I agree fully with your argumentation. Land use (and misuse) is a growing
        problem. In 1997 I was working for a German Parliamentary Commission in
        which this was a topic. I a session, the Federal Statistical Office
        presented data according to which Germany might be transferred 100% into
        pure settlement area within 82 years (in case of 3% economic growth). The
        Parliamentary Commission only took this into account in their report as a
        "mental experiment". They also discussed the taxation according to
        potential use as you proposed it - without finding a compromise. The
        Parliamentary report is unfortunately available only in German, but I have
        cited the things in an English publication which I will send you by normal
        mail.

        Best Regards
        Thomas

        --On Dienstag, 11. Februar 2003 09:30 +0000 Wetzel Dave

      • Robin M. Chase
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2003
          The relationship between IT and transport is exactly the topic of an
          article in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Industrial Ecology by
          Pat Mohktarian, "Telecommunications and Travel: The Case for
          Complementarity", the leading scholar in the US on the topic of
          telecommuting & the relationship between communications and
          transportation. See <http://www.yale.edu/jie/cfpe-commerce.htm> and the
          links from that page. The article is part of special issue on
          E-commerce, the Internet and the Environment.

          Robin Chase
          Zipcar

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are
          > confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
          > entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby
          > excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy
          > of the contents of this e-mail and any attached transmitted files. If
          > you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
          > received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
          > forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
          >
          > If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
          > postmaster@....
          >
          > This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept
          > for the presence of computer viruses.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Dr. Thomas Schauer
          FAW Ulm