[NewMobilityCafe] Paul A. Barter - New parking policy blog: Reinventing Parking

  • Pascal van den Noort
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2010

      My new colleague Karim Maarek has the following contribution for this discussion:

      Building underground parking, or better ways to spend public money
      In Amsterdam it’s quite fashionable to build underground car parks. All seven city districts have multiple projects in various stages of execution. The former district of Oud-West (since 2010, part of the larger district West)
      , with only 31.000 inhabitants, at one time had seven different plans of which four had been formalized into actual administrative decisions. Running between 45.000 Euros (if you're very lucky) and 90.000 Euros (if you're very unlucky) per spot, these are multimillion euro projects that are for the most part paid for publically with parking taxes. Parking hardliners on one end and greens on the other have found each other on the basis of creating quality public space above ground for functions such as playgrounds. But the question isn’t asked if this is the most cost-effective way to spend those millions. Oud-Wests’ annual budget for car sharing promotion was just 40.000 Euros. Even offering people a premium for their cars and parking rights is a lot cheaper. Or how many low-cost P&R spots could be created on the city edge? With P&R, car sharing and high parking rates the same results can be achieved for far less. Then Oud-Wests’ former district heads advice to spend this money differently in hard economic times can be followed.

      Pascal J.W. van den Noort
      Executive Director Velo Mondial

       +31206270675 landline
      +31627055688 mobile phone

      Visit Velo Mondial's blog here

      On Aug 20, 2010, at 11:00 AM, eric britton wrote:

      As many sustran-discussers know, I see parking as very important for cities
      and their futures.

      So you will not be surprised that I have started a new blog to focus
      specifically on parking policy. It is called Reinventing Parking. Among
      other things, I want to try to help communities understand the parking
      choices they face and to help them to improve their policies.

      If you agree with me that parking policy is important and interesting please
      visit and consider subscribing to its feed or via email. Please spread the
      word to people who care about improving parking policy.

      The link is www.reinventingparking.org<http://www.reinventingparking.org>.

      The first three posts are:

      * Are Shoup's parking ideas relevant in
      Asia?<http://www.reinventingparking.org/2010/08/are-shoups-parking-ideas-rel
      evant-in.html>
      * Spike in American parking debate after Tyler
      Cowen...<http://www.reinventingparking.org/2010/08/spike-in-american-parking
      -debate-after.html>
      * A new parking policy
      blog!<http://www.reinventingparking.org/2010/08/new-parking-policy-blog.html

      Please forgive the shameless self promotion. I hope you will find the site
      useful.

      Best wishes

      Paul

      Paul A. Barter | Assistant Professor | LKY School of Public Policy National
      University of Singapore | 469C Bukit Timah Road | Singapore 259772 | Tel:
      +65-6516 3324 | Fax: +65-6778 1020 |
      paulbarter@...<mailto:paulbarter@...> |
      http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/Faculty_Paul_Barter.aspx
      http://www.reinventingtransport.org/ http://ww.reinventingparking.org

    • Dave Holladay
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 20, 2010
        In central Glasgow just 35% of households own a car, and a substantial portion of that number rarely use their car anyway but our traffic congention is the stuff of legend.  Why? well most main offices have the basement or lower ground level knocked through to for a car park for the elite staff, and withing the cordon of the M8 motorway and the River Clyde we must have around 20,000 public car parking spaces, with the Council at one time permitting the queueing cas going in to stack back along the street and block major cross-roads (completely contra to the way to make a roads network function by keeping all traffic lanes free moving)

        So definitely not in favour of the 'secret' car park, although I suspect that these may kill themselves off as the level of service when you have a 20 minute queue to get out at a busy time makes it faster and cheaper to get the bus or cycle for that local trip.

        Could always convert the space to giant water tanks to keep heated water as a low grade heat store & recovery system.

        New uses for old car parks folks?

        Dave Holladay