India lives in her cities too!

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2010
      WordPress.com

      May I recommend this excellent blog project of the energetic and certainly not particularly timid Karthik Rao-Cavale for your attention. (The WordPress site allows us to pick up a weekly overview as below.)

      Hmm. The politics of transportation. Sounds interesting.

      Thank you Karthik. Be inconvenient. Persist!

      Best/Eric

      PS. Come to Kaohsiung and talk sharing: Www.kaohsiung.sharetransport.org  and http://www.kaohsiung-sharetransport.com.tw/ in Chinese.

      Eric Britton | WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org  | Skype: newmobility

      8, rue Jospeh Bara  | Paris 75006 France | +331 7550 3788

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2010
        WordPress.com

        There is food for thought here that I can only strongly recommendation to the members of this group. Eric Britton

        Transit as a social space

        In a previous post, I had argued that air-conditioning transit is a wasteful and avoidable expenditure that adds little to the comfort of the commuter, and that city planners should instead seek to reduce crowding in transit by increasing the frequency of service.  This, thankfully, is being attempted for the Mumbai commuter rail system through [...]

        Read more of this post

        Add a comment to this post

        Metros and social justice: the case of Mumbai

        Karthik Rao-Cavale | September 5, 2010 at 12:06 AM | Tags: Mumbai Metro, MMRDA, Race Course | Categories: Equity in Planning, Metro, Mumbai, Rehabilitation | URL: http://wp.me/pZUdv-3q

        Amitabh Bachchan, the famous Bollywood actor, recently stirred up a controversy when he complained in his blog about the intrusion of his privacy due to the construction of the Mumbai Metro near his mansion "Prateeksha" in Juhu. The city responded with anger - public interest cannot be compromised for the benefit for one person, however [...]

        Read more of this post

        Add a comment to this post

        Vendors are the security, can't you see?

        Street vendors and homeless persons should be welcome on streets - between the two groups, they occupy the streets at all times of the day and night, providing stray walkers at night the security of not having to worry about being the only person on the street. And yet, we find that governments respond to their presence in exactly the opposite manner - Mumbai wants to get security to keep people from "encroaching" the elevated walkways when they could have gotten these "encroachers" to themselves serve as security - at so much less expense and freeing up so much time of the already overworked Mumbai Police.

        Read more of this post

        Add a comment to this post