boost in transportation by IST?

  • Thomas Schauer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
      Dear Readers,

      again and again we could hear about the potential benefits of information
      technology with respect to the substitution of motorways by data highways
      etc...

      But in reality we observed an increase of transportation of goods and
      persons. Why is there such a difference between theory and reality ?

      The reason is a fundamental error which can be found in current
      dematerialisation theories. They suppose that the information society
      SUBSTITUTES the industrial society. But more and more evidence shows that
      the information society ADDS on the industrial one.

      In a new study this is illustrated by an interesting parallel to the
      industrial revolution: The industrial society also did not substitute but
      add on the agricultural one (if we consider the environmentally relevant
      production and not just the jobs !).

      The study was prepared for the SASKIA project of the EC and can be
      downloaded in the "background" section of the website
      http://www.global-society-dialogue.org

      There is also a restricted number of paper copies available which can be
      ordered free of charge via info@...-ulm.de

      Best Regards
      Thomas Schauer

      Dr. Thomas Schauer
      FAW Ulm
      Helmholtzstrasse 16
      89081 Ulm

      Tel. 0731-501-8633
      Fax. 0731-501-999
    • Wetzel Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
        Dear Thomas
        Many thanks for this e-mail.
        I attach a short note on land value capture.
        If you would like more info pls contact me.

        Dave

        Dave Wetzel
        Vice-Chair, Transport for London
        Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL.
[...]

        Consult at: http://wTransport.org

        The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are
        confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
        entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby
        excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy
        of the contents of this e-mail and any attached transmitted files. If
        you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
        received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
        forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

        If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
        postmaster@....

        for the presence of computer viruses.

      • Thomas Schauer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
          Hello Dave,

          I agree fully with your argumentation. Land use (and misuse) is a growing
          problem. In 1997 I was working for a German Parliamentary Commission in
          which this was a topic. I a session, the Federal Statistical Office
          presented data according to which Germany might be transferred 100% into
          pure settlement area within 82 years (in case of 3% economic growth). The
          Parliamentary Commission only took this into account in their report as a
          "mental experiment". They also discussed the taxation according to
          potential use as you proposed it - without finding a compromise. The
          Parliamentary report is unfortunately available only in German, but I have
          cited the things in an English publication which I will send you by normal
          mail.

          Best Regards
          Thomas

          --On Dienstag, 11. Februar 2003 09:30 +0000 Wetzel Dave

        • Robin M. Chase
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2003
            The relationship between IT and transport is exactly the topic of an
            article in a forthcoming issue of the Journal of Industrial Ecology by
            Pat Mohktarian, "Telecommunications and Travel: The Case for
            Complementarity", the leading scholar in the US on the topic of
            telecommuting & the relationship between communications and
            transportation. See <http://www.yale.edu/jie/cfpe-commerce.htm> and the
            links from that page. The article is part of special issue on
            E-commerce, the Internet and the Environment.

            Robin Chase
            Zipcar

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > The contents of the e-mail and any transmitted files are
            > confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
            > entity to whom they are addressed. Transport for London hereby
            > excludes any warranty and any liability as to the quality or accuracy
            > of the contents of this e-mail and any attached transmitted files. If
            > you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
            > received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
            > forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
            >
            > If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
            > postmaster@....
            >
            > This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept
            > for the presence of computer viruses.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Dr. Thomas Schauer
            FAW Ulm