Transport governance is also one such area which is not well-researched.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2010

      Original subject here: JAIPAL REDDY URGES STATES TO PROMOTE PUBLIC TRANSPORT

      This discussion is all pretty depressing. But might we make something of it?  What about this as a group thinking exercise?  By the numbers:

      1.     Let's for the moment pretend that the only world there is is the Global South. (We can leave the stupidity, incompetence and meanness of mind of the ROW aside for the moment.)

      2.     And let's pretend that some huge proportion of the time that their transport policies and practices are truly misguided  and as close as one might imagine to unsustainable, unfair - and we are speaking here of the reality of these policies, not their rhetoric.

      3.     And since we are at it, let's also suppose that there are policies and approaches which are known, proven, affordable (i.e., the 2010 sustainable transport reality) that they could be putting into service. But they are not doing it.

      4.     Now my question to the group. Are those responsible for taking the decisions not taking advantage of all that we have learned over these last two decades and could be doing in the interest of sustainability, justice and efficiency, because they are . . .

      1.     ___________:  Ignorant (They simply do not know)

      2.     ___________:  Stupid (But even if they did, they are not smart enough to figure it out)

      3.     ___________:  Incompetent (Not up to the challenges)

      4.     ___________:  Weak (They know what they should be doing but do not have the courage to take on the powerful interests that find the current arrangements pretty much to their taste)

      5.     ___________:  On the take (I.e., are profiting from following the path present policies and investments, so why change?)

      6.     ___________:  Hypocritical (Are culturally shaped so that they feel no discomfort by saying one thing while doing quite another)

      7.     ___________:  Elitist (Find it perfectly natural that the lower classes should have lower lives)

      8.     ___________:  Perverted (Possibly even take pleasure in the suffering of others.)

      9.     ___________:  Other (please explain)

      5.     Check one or more and comment as you please.

      Now my personal guess is that there is a fair amount of 1, 2, and 3 flying around. That there are healthy doses of 5, 6, and 7. And I would hope that there is little of 8.

      Is this a fair picture? And if so, once we have it in our sights can it help us figure out what to do next?

      I look forward with interest to comments and clues.

      Eric Britton | WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org  |  www.facebook.WorldStreets.org

      8, rue Joseph Bara.  75006 Paris France  |  +331 7550 3788  |  Skype: newmobility

      From: Rutul Joshi <joshirutul@...>

      To: Sustran-discuss@...

      Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 6:21 AM

      Hi Kanthi and others,

      Patience is a good word to calm people down. Probably, that is why in Indian traditions, someone invented the concept of 're-incarnation'. One can 'have patience' till you are born again!

      In India, we build metros but we forget all about integrated ticketing or physical integration with the buses/cycles or even walking. We build expensive paid parking lots and right outside, one can park on-street for free. We have cumbersome and expensive public transport (operations, ticketing, info) when it is much cheaper, easier and socially 'superior' to go by cars and motorbikes. We build big bus based projects and forget all about pedestrians and cyclists or the other buses which are running the city. We have expensive public infrastructure projects with something as basic as 'walkable' footpaths being absent. We build expensive flyovers for cheap cars, while rest of city struggles with basic water supply network. If we have nice newly-pedestrianised areas in the city, people wants to start charging it and of course, you can park a car for free outside.

      We create new transport authorities/companies to 'hide' the old ones or the bad ones. We have different agencies for planning the landuse, planing the transport, regulating vehicles, regulating building/roads, running the buses and deciding 'what-to-do' and they dont 'talk' to each other. We have sensible and sincere govt officials who unfortunatley are 'not allowed' to take decisions. We have lots of money and the right policy now but a little capacity at the local level to spend it in the right direction.

      Sorry if it sounds pessimistic but sometimes all optimism fade away... unless one believes in re-incarnation!

      Mr. Reddy heads the most difficult ministry. I sympathise with him!

      regards,

      From: KanthiKannan <kanthikannan@...>

      From: sustran-discuss-bounces+kanthikannan=gmail.com@...