Safety Check Activities in Transport Sectors

  • 한상진
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2003
      Dear All

      I am looking for information on <a good practice guide for safety check on transport sector>. Safety check means all activities to identify potentially or apparently hazardous points in transport modes (cars, trains, vessels, and aircraft), transport links and nodes (highways, railways, terminals, harbors, and airports), and transport operators (coach or trucking company, train operator, maritime operators, and airline operators).

      I personally think these safety check activities are being taken place in all countries in various ways for all transport modes, links and nodes, and transport operators. There cannot be a single best practice of safety check that can be applicable to all transport sectors. But I think we can extract good points of individual safety check activities. For example, in Korea, we have special officials whose main job is to check safety of transport modes, links and nodes, and operators particularly in railway and air transport. But we do not have such officials in coach and trucking transport and in a highway agency. Naturally, we may think it is desirable to adopt such officials in all transport sectors if possible. I hope I can make a good practice guide for safety check by extracting and rearranging good points of individual safety check activities.

      So far, we can conclude that a general safety check process is as follows:

      To establish safety check plan
      To perform safety check with detailed checklist
      To remedy hazardous points
      To make a report on safety check results, and
      To evaluate safety check activities

      But, this is too general to extract any meaningful conclusion. Would you please let me know how the safety check activities are being taken place in your country? It doesn’t matter if it is related only to the highway or railway or maritime or airways. I just want to identify good points of individual safety check activities. If you think you can help me, please do it. Thank you very much in advance!
       Sangjin Han

      Ph.D in Transport Studies
      KOREA TRANSPORT INSTITUTE
      2311, Daehwa-dong, Ilsan-gu, Koyang-city
      Kyunggi-do 411-701, Korea
      tel: +82-31-910-3112
      fax: +82-31-910-3235
      e-mail: han@...