June 18: Transport Futures Road Pricing & Leadership Summit (Toronto, Canada)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2010
      Message

      Click to view this email in a browser

      Forward this message to a friend

      TF 2010 Summit Banner with Date - Photo Editor.jpg

      Dear Eric:

      Congestion charging. Priced networks. High Occupancy Toll Lanes.

      These road pricing systems are being implemented internationally in order to fight traffic congestion, reduce pollution and generate dedicated revenues for sustainable transportation infrastructure.  Yet, when the discussion begins, road tolls are usually described as “controversial”, “audacious”, “explosive” and even “radioactive”.  A recent Ontario poll has confirmed the findings of many other domestic and international opinion surveys:  the majority of citizens yearn for a much improved transportation network to serve their needs but are reluctant to pay for it in a direct manner.

      With the help of our delegates and partners, Transport Futures has been exploring this conundrum since our inaugural forum in November 2008.  Now a perfect storm of economic, social and environmental challenges compels us to continue our non-partisan discussion by examining the critical role of leadership and road pricing.  In order to get insights from the front lines, we have invited these prominent politicians from across North America:

      • Bruce Starr, Senator & Chair, Road User Fee Task Force, Oregon State Legislature, Oregon
      • Melissa Mark-Viverito, Council Member, New York City Council, New York
      • Peter Fassbender, Mayor, City of Langley & Chair, TransLink Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation, British Columbia
      • Richard Bergeron, Leader, Projet Montréal & Councillor, Plateau-Mont-Royal, Montreal, Quebec
      • Emil Kolb, Chair, Peel Region, Ontario
      • Gilles Bisson, MPP & Transportation Critic, Ontario New Democratic Party
      • Frank Klees, MPP & Transportation Critic, Ontario Progressive Conservative Party
      • Peter Milczyn, Councillor, City of Toronto, Ontario
      • Joyce Frustaglio, Regional Councillor, City of Vaughan & Chair, York Region Transit, Ontario

      These officials, along with two others to be confirmed soon, have agreed to answer a broad range of road pricing questions, including:

      • Why do they support road pricing in the face of widespread opposition?  Why not?
      • How do they communicate road pricing benefits and/or costs to their constituents?
      • What can we learn from their varied experiences?

      Don’t miss this unique opportunity to hear first-hand how American politicians have “taken the heat” for adding road pricing to their transportation tool kit – and from Canadian politicians who are (or aren't) considering them.

      The Transport Futures Road Pricing and Leadership Summit is taking place at The Metropolitan Hotel in downtown Toronto, conveniently located just behind Toronto City Hall.

      For further information about our exciting program, please visit www.transportfutures.ca or send an email to info@....

      Thanks very much and we look forward to welcoming you to Transport Futures 2010 on June 18th!

      Sincerely,

      Martin Collier
      Director, Healthy Transport Consulting
      Founder, Transport Futures

      Andy Manahan
      Executive Director
      Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario

      QUICK LINKS:

      Summit Info

      Agenda

      Registration

      Speakers

      Sponsors

      About Us

      Contact Us:
      Email:     info@...
      Website: www.transportfutures.ca/contact

       Forward this message to a friend

      Healthy Transport Consulting
      34 Columbus Avenue
      Toronto, Ontario M6R 1S2

      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!