The GPS Countries and . . . Frugal Transport:. Part I: Time to mainstream New Mobility

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 176 KB

    Dear colleagues,

    I think this is a potentially important article for World Streets and our readers, and perhaps an occasion in which we can put our heads together to provide useful counsel to our transportation colleagues in Greece, Portugal and Spain at a time in which they are likely to be facing some pretty strict budget cuts and challenges to their professionalism and capacity for innovation.

    I put it before you this afternoon with two thoughts in mind.  First to invite your critical comments and suggestions in order hopefully and if possible to make it into a stronger and more effective piece.  And more important, to encourage you to think about the new economic environment these and indeed many other countries are now going to have to face in our sector, and of the kind of practical counsel that we might be able to provide the transportation policy communities and others concerned in those places.

    Best of all, if you have comments it would like to put into print or follow-up pieces of your own, you would be a great time to get these out and distributed in the places in which they might be able to be of use.  My intention is to publish my best available version of this first thing on Friday morning.

    With all good wishes,

    Eric Britton

    Eric Britton | WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org  | Paris  | +331 7550 3788 | Skype: newmobility

    The GPS Countries and . . . Frugal Transport:. Part I: Time to mainstream New  Mobility

    We and many others have been speaking for several decades now about the great advantages of "sustainable transportation". And while real progress http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/S-AjiMe8OrI/AAAAAAAAC6k/yIon40G0Tic/s200/gps.jpghas been registered on many fronts, the fact is that UNsustainable transportation, also known as old mobility, is where the dollars have gone. Well that was then and now is now -- and when it comes to the growing financial pressures on the GPS countries (Greece, Portugal and Spain ) you can bet that now is a good time to start to look around for measures and concepts which are going to give more mobility bang per buck. Or in this case Euros. It's time to mainstream New Mobility, and what better time and place to start than with Greece, Portugal and Spain. Let's have a look.

    The goal of this editorial is to invite our readers to give more thought to the implications for transport policy and practice in Europe, but especially in the context of the three threatened GPS economies – Greece, Portugal and Spain – in the hope that the mounting economic pressures they are already starting to endure and which are certain to become the primary economic reality of the several years immediately ahead can be dealt with creatively in our sector. Let's see if we can get together and be of some use to them.