Hell is a gyratory system, so we want our cities back

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2010

      Hell is a gyratory system, so we want our cities back

      - Views  from Britain on our one-way past

      We put in traffic lights and stop signs in order to make our streets safe. We convert from two-way streets to one-way streets in order to permit cars to move more rapidly down them.  And in almost all cases these decisions are made not on the basis of a broader systemic understanding of the traffic network as a whole, nor from an explicit philosophy as to what the basic underlying values and priorities should be, but always piecemeal, ad hoc, and one of the time. All of which renders the networks of most of our cities ripe for rethinking and redesign.  Here is one view from London.

      Full piece freely available in World Streets today at www.WorldStreets.org

      Eric Britton | World Streets | The New Mobility Agenda  | Paris  | +331 7550 3788| Skype newmobility