Minister of Information

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2010

      Minister of Information

      A book entitled "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" by someone named Edward Tufte somehow landed on my desk in the middle 1980s and in a way it changed if not my whole life, at least a lot of my perceptions about the use of statistics and graphic images to convince, to propagandize, to beguile or simply to explain with balance and clarity what is really going on out there in the real world. And the indomitable author is still hard at it. Challenge yourself graphically. Read on.

      Everyone knows that statistics (can) lie, and certainly for those of us who are interested in public policy and communications it is important we have a sophisticated understanding of what this is all about. That book, The Visual Display, was by a professor at Yale University, who at the time had an interesting collection of departmental affiliations, which as I recall included statistics, computer science, political science and . . . graphics and design. An unusual combination for sure, and if you can start to familiarize yourself with his work, you will never regret that you opened those first pages.

      --> The full text of this article appears in today’s World Streets at http://WorldStreets.org/

      --> No broadband? No problem. Find it on the Open Edition at www.open.WorldStreets.org

      Read World Streets Today at http://www.worldstreets.org/ & www.open.worldstreets.org