A public road is also a shared space.

  • Mehdi Martin Strid
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2010

      A public road is also a shared space.

      Since 1998, Swedish Road Administration has a policy of converting public roads into ”2+1” roads, as a low budget alternative to motorways (Autobahn). The result for sustainable transportation is a catastrophy. Bicycle traffic along twoplusone roads is reduced to zero. Riding or walking along such a road is either prohibited or so dangerous and unpleasant that nobody in his right mind will do it. On thousands of kilometres of Swedish government roads, bicycle traffic has been eliminated by what is termed a ”traffic safety measure". In reality, this is a systematic extermination of sustainable modes of transport. It may also be termed theft of road network.

      The statistical safety argument says that the 2+1 roads have saved about 200 lives since 1998. But they are cementing private car society and have destroyed life quality of long distance cyclists. (The SRA defines long distance cycling as anything in excess of 5 km!) You can no longer go along nor across the road that used to be open to the public. Now it is fast cars only.

      As for me personally, I can no longer travel to where I used to go, to play music every week with an active local group of our neighbouring town Falun, which previously was only 15 km away by bike.

      There is a risk that the EU will be lured into adopting the SRA ”2+1”model. That would be the end of many good things and impede many memorable life experiences that a ridden journey can convey.

      Veuillez agréer, Messieurs, l' expression de mes sentiments les plus distingués,

      Mehdi Martin Strid

      Département
      technique

      Téléphone: +46-243-755 33