World Streets weekend lecture series : Fred Salvucci on a...

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2010

      Look, I admit it. The week is far too charged for most of us to find an hour for thoughtfulness in terms of what it takes to bring sustainable transportation into the front line of the policy debate. But hey, it's the week-end, so let's make a virtual zero-CO2 hop to MIT and the banks of the Charles River and listen to what Fred Salvucci of their Center for Transportation and Logistics has to tell us about US perspectives and opportunities in our field.

      Transportation Policy: Thinking Globally, Acting Locally and Walking the Talk

      Fred Salvucci observes that true sustainable transport requires making more than short-term fixes. A sustainable transportation program is built upon the pyramid of three “E”s: equity, environmental benefit, and economics. Maximizing on just one of these objectives imbalances the others, and leads to unintended and undesirable results.

      --> The full text of this article appears in today’s World Streets at http://WorldStreets.org/

      --> No broadband? No problem. Find it on the Open Edition at www.open.WorldStreets.org

      Read World Streets Today at http://www.worldstreets.org/ & www.open.worldstreets.org