World Streets Open Edition - An invitation to have a look and share your comments

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2010

      cid:image013.png@01CAC2FF.54562060

      Dear sustainable friends and colleagues,

      This is to announce a new World Streets project  - World Streets Open Edition at Www.open.WorldStreets.org  -- which we have decided to develop in a trial run in order to test our ability to deliver easy access for those colleagues living outside of cities and other parts of the world where high-speed Internet connections are not generally available.  I wonder if you might have a look and give us your feedback on three basic issues which we will need to resolve if we are going to continue to develop and make available this free sustainability tool.

      1.     Are you able to access it relatively easy with a dial-up or other lower speed connection?  And if you run into any problems in some part of the site, kindly let us know so we can try to either fix it or find a satisfactory workaround.

      2.     Do you find the content and the overall approach something which is worthy and possibly of use to you?  Fortunately at the main World Streets blog (which does really require high-speed access) we know the answer since the site is being heavily used every day and many of our colleagues in different places around the world are participating with articles, comments, and suggestions for us.  But with the new project like this we depend on individual feedback.

      3.       And finally, if you have working familiarity with any of the other dozen languages that are handled on the site, or if English is not your most comfortable working language, would you mind having a look at the machine translation engine which will find on the upper left of every page of the site.  What is your reaction as far as the quality of the translation is concerned?  yes, it is not perfect and at times a bit strange, but does not get the basic message across?  That is the fundamental issue that we need to sort out.  (For further background on this, may I point you to the article that you will find on the Open Edition menu for 10 March, plus the background note at http://tinyurl.com/ws-languages.)

      If your time and interest permit, it would be much appreciated if you could get back to us on this.  We want to do a good job but it is also important that it is going to be useful.

      Many thanks,

      Eric Britton

      Note: New Paris tel. +331 7550 3788 . Kindly change your records.

      World Streets  •  www.worldstreets.org    Open Edition: www.open.worldstreets.org

      8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  •  Paris 75006 France

      +331 7550 3788  •  eric.britton@...  •  Skype newmobility

      New Mobility Partnerships   • www.partners.newmobility.org

      9440 Readcrest Drive  •   Los Angeles, CA 90210

      +1 213 984 1277 •  fekbritton@... •  Skype ericbritton