Re: WorldTransport Forum Rebuilding Haiti - who said you have to ride the bikes?

  • Dave Holladay
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2010

      I'd point out that the Swiss Army (Switzerland has a lot of high 'hills' called mountains) had a standard issue bicycle issued from around 1900 untiil the mid 1970's.  It was 'sturdy' (heavy) in order to carry the soldier and their kit and had just one gear - with no freewheel.  When the hill is too steep to ride you push the bike and although I've yet to see any quantitative research in this I know that when pushing a bike the walking action (impact of feet on ground, cycling variation in height of centre of gravity of pedestrian and load) are greatly smoothed out making it considerably less effort to walk, especially when transporting a load.   I can walk steadily at 5.5 to 6 mph pushing a bike (Eric will probably now go out and try this!)

      The result of this is that a) you can walk faster when wheeling a bike than without (it is a sort of mobile zimmer frame for anyone with an injury - and I know of some amputees who modify their bikes to use as form of scooter when they cannot ride them), and b) you can carry considerably heavier loads over distances than a simple pedestrian, with 80Kg being about the limit for a fit, trained, pedestrian, but 250Kg being proven by the Viet Cong whose soldiers each carried this sort of load on bicycles being walked (you don't have to ride them to make them useful as a mode of transport) South along the Ho Chi Minh Trail (sic) which consisted largely of bomb craters and broken bridges.  The US army discovered to their cost, whan over 50,000 tons of supplies was delivered without infrastructure, or fuel (2 things in rather short supply in parts of Haiti)  and almost immune to any of the issues that block motorised transport of bulked up loads.

      As one who has (and still does) cycle in hilly places (Bradford, Glasgow - and visiting San Francisco and Seattle which have some fairly impressive hills too) I'd suggest observing the way people there ride bikes, and transport in times when human or proper horse-power were the only options.   We travelled along the contour lines  (old roads follow contour routes and did not waste energy smashing holes through hills, as the builders had to use their own energy to move the muck) and where a hill needed to be climbed, by large flows of traffic, the permanent routes were carefully laid out to present a steady and manageable gradient - there is just such a road alignment which is still partly used from Hebden Bridge to Keighley in Yorkshire, it was built by prisoners of war (Napoleonic), set your heavy horses off at a steady rythym and they just keep climbing.   Generally it is only (and famously in New Zealand) where  planners on another continent designed the road layout and insisted on it being built as planned to we have the spectacle of 'impossible' streets - what's the name of that road folks?

      The Viet Cong, once they had unloaded their bikes, removed the bamboo extensions to the handlebars and seat posts (used to control the loaded machine), and rode the bicycles back North for more supplies)  This it strikes me is a modus operandi which is well suited to a location where supplies come in to the coast and need to be delivered inland and uphill, with the empty bicycles returning downhill.

      Henryka Manes wrote:

      Just came back from Haiti and going back in a few days.

      It seems to me that the people involved in this discussion have not been to Port au Prince yet.  The city is full of high hills, the reason bicycles have not taken root is because only those who train for the Olympics can use them in Port au Prince.  The range of where one could go is very limited given the terrain.