Editorial: The only good monorail, is an old monorail.

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010

      Editorial: The only good monorail, is an old monorail.

      Part I. Building knowledge and consensus via the internet

      Let me be very clear as to my motives here just so there is no ambiguity on my position. I would like no less than to drive a sharp stake through the dark heart of this egregiously unsustainable transport concept once and for all, so that we can concentrate our limited resources on approaches that are capable of doing the job and meeting the sustainability challenge head on. Which is exactly not the case with monorails. Let's have a look.

      In the world of transport, sustainable and otherwise, there are some bad ideas that die hard, no matter how absurd. One of the more resistant of these is monorails. Once again we are starting to hear the drum beat of monorails being touted as a "genuine, bona fide, electrified" solution to the problems of transport in our cites. For example just the other day it was announced in the press that Mumbai was about to receive the first prototype vehicle for a new monorail project in fairly advanced planning and testing stages. Oops. Let's see if we can put this one to rest.

      [This article builds on an excellent series of discussions that you can reference in the excellent Sustran Global South collaborative forum on sustainable transport in the developing countries -- which you can visit at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sustran-discuss It is our intention to follow this up with several more independent commentaries from expert sources.]

      --> The full text of this article appears in today’s World Streets at http://WorldStreets.org/

      --> Discussions on New Mobility Forum at www.newmobility.org  (Post to NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com)