This month on World Streets - January 2010 summaries for busy readers

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010

      January 2010 - Introduction:

      We very much doubt that most of our readers have the time to check into World Streets on a daily basis. For that reason we have from the beginning offered in addition to the daily edition, a monthly summary which brings together in one place all postings and comments in a manner in which the busy reader can review the month's titles in a few lines and make a decision as to whether or not to call up and read the full article. January 2010 was no exception to this rule.

      * Click titles for full article.

      * To be taken directly to full January edition, click here: http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2010/02/january-2010-this-month-on-world.html

      World Streets goes to the movies What's playing in February 2010

      A new series inaugurated on 1 February, presenting a selection of outstanding videos, to be renewed over the year on a monthly basis. The idea is to invite our readers to check in from time to time to view some very different kinds of presentations and topics, with the objective of stimulating even greater variety in their thinking and problem-solving approaches. You can find the small gadget

      Sustainable transport survey identifies five types of travellers

      A new study from Germany of attitudes towards transport and mobility has identified five groups of travellers. The groups differ significantly in their choice of transport, distance travelled and the impact their transport choices have on the environment in terms of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.- by ClickGreen staff. Published Sat 30 Jan 2010 16:50 http://www.clickgreen.org.uk/research/trends/

      E pur si muove  Casual Carpooling on the streets of America

      One of the keys to sustainable transportation is to gain high quality mobility for people while reducing overall traffic. One way for doing this is to figure out how to get more people into fewer vehicles, efficiently. Fortunately there are many ways of doing this, not all of which take a lot of time to build and cost a bundle. Here is one example: casual carsharing. And despite the fact that

      Next Steps After Copenhagen: Opportunities and Challenges in the Transport Sector

      For those of you who may have missed this recent brainstorming session organized at the Inter-American Development Bank in Washington DC and attended by a number of other important players on the worldwide sustainable transport scene, here is the next best thing we can offer you, complete with more comprehensive references and URLs to the main presentations. I am sure that many or our readers

      April Streeter ponders six (might be) car free cities.

      Friend April Streeter, diligent reporter for the busy Treehugger cars+ transportation blog, called in to World Streets on Monday to talk car free(r) cities. We applauded her decision to try to find a range of very different kinds of cities, pushed a bit to bring Guadalajara and at least one Chinese city, in addition to the more usual suspects, and urged her on with all due caution. Here is what

      Citiscope: Reporting on Worldwide City Innovation

      In the wake of the troubles and lessons of COP15 we are seeing projects, programs and groups sprouting up around the world setting out to take the high ground in ideas and communications on the up-side of the change and innovations necessary if we are to face the challenges of the planet and our cities. We invite you to have an advance look at the Citiscope project that will be formally announced

      World Streets / Haitian Streets. Part II. To Heal Haiti, Look to History, Not Nature

      This special series sets out to tap the considerable competence of people and groups working the leading edge of the field of sustainable transport worldwide, to invite them to provide their best independent strategic counsel for the decision- makers who eventually are going to have to figure out what to do to provide and improve mobility arrangements of Haitians in their daily lives. But

      America, it’s time to meet the Sharrow. (Be brave)

      After five years of sanctioned experimentation in American cities—large and small--the Federal Highway Administration has officially adopted Shared Use Lane Markings, or “Sharrows,” into the latest version of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). America Codifies Shared Use Lane Markings (Sharrows)While the MUTCD is not everyday reading for many livable streets advocates, its

      Message from South Africa: How our public transport system compares with the rest of Mama Africa.

      South African travel writer Sihle Khumalo knows African public transport intimately, but is more accustomed to his own private wheels in his home town of Jozi. He took time out recently to explore his own backyard by public transport, from Soweto to Sandton…Having travelled by public transport in more than 10 other African countries, it was only natural that I explore my own backyard using

      World Streets Annual New Mobility Country Reviews: An ultra-short progress report on carsharing in Iceland

      This series strives to try to provide a balanced view reporting on how the practice of sharing cars is progressing in countries and cities around the world. Including in places that have yet to create their own carshare operations or pubic programs to investigate or support them. The case of Iceland is one among many, showing how the roll-up takes time and the importance of convincing of those

      World Streets / Haitian Streets: Part I. What to do once the emergency has been met.

      No city, no place in the world can hope for a fair future if it does not have safe streets that work for people in their day to day lives. Streets are the circulatory systems of our towns and cities, They are not "roads" which tend to be treated as more or less isolated conduits down which we try to channel as many vehicles as fast as possible. No, streets are rather highly idiosyncratic, hugely

      Children, Transport and Mobility in Africa Sharing experiences from Ghana, Malawi and South Africa

      2010 is the Year of Africa on World Streets, and here you have the first of what we intend will develop into a engaging series of articles, ideas and information on problems, attitudes, responses, barriers and the ingenious work-arounds that African children and adults are so often obliged to find on their own. This publication was funded by The Africa Community Access Programme (AFCAP) to help

      A major sustainability challenge of 2010: Building a World-Wide Learning Community

      Is there a requirement, a potentially useful role for a more creative and powerful system of linkage, dynamic multi-level interaction, information exchange and eventually collaboration between the many and fast growing number of outstanding programs and their considerable knowledge and competence bases, with specific reference to the issues, roles and possibilities of the new mobility transport

      World Streets Annual New Mobility Country Reviews: A 2010 update on carsharing in Canada

      Kevin McLaughlin, one of the key figures in advancing the carshare agenda not only in his city (Toronto) but also across Canada and more broadly in North America as a whole, has taken time out from his busy schedule to tell our readers about the state of carsharing in Canada as we head into 2010.# # # An update on Car Sharing in Canada in 2009 (with the important proviso that I am writing from

      Want to know more on carsharing around the world? All you have to do is push here.

      In addition to the country review that are appearing in these pages in the weeks ahead, you may be interested to know that we have developed some tools that permit you to dig deeper and faster. Here are four you may wish to check out for your own research purposes. No problem. Get comfortable, pour yourself a cup of coffee and take a bit of time to investigate . . . 1. All World Streets articles

      World Streets Annual New Mobility Country Reviews: A 2010 update on carsharing (Car Clubs) in the UK

      Carsharing has been a slow starter in the UK, lagging considerably behind the leaders. However in the last half dozen years the operators have gained considerable momentum and are now entering into the mainstream of practical transport innovation and day to day practice. Carsharing is really hitting the road in Britain in 2010. One has to ask why the great delay? Might it be because the British

      World Streets Annual New Mobility Country Reviews: A 2010 update on carsharing in the United States

      If not such a great moment for the US car industry, 2009 was quite a year for carsharing in the States! Dave Brooks of www.Carsharing.us out of Portland Oregon reports for World Streets on carshare developments in the United States over 2009, with some reflections on where things might be heading in the year ahead. # # # Best wishes to World Streets readers for 2010. Here are some thoughts

      How to read World Streets . . . until we are ready for 2010

      During the weeks directly ahead we have to concentrate our limited resources on the search for financial and other support so that World Streets can continue publication in 2010. Thus, during this period we shall not be maintaining our usual 5/7 publication schedule. For that reason you will over the coming weeks find in this top section only those postings and articles that relate to laying the

      World Streets Annual New Mobility Country Reviews: Carsharing: The last nail in the coffin of old mobility.

      At the beginning of each new year the New Mobility Agenda invites the approximately two thousand individuals and groups from more than seventy nations on all continents who log into our dozen-plus focus sites to share overviews of the "state of the nation" in their particular area of interest and activity. This year we start with carsharing. The following update note and invitation sent on

      It's time you too rolled up your sleeves and got involved.

      World Streets, it says right at the top of the page, is a collaborative, sharing effort. After a first year of proving its worth edition after edition, five days a week, bringing hundreds of carefully selected news items, expert views, questions, comments, inspirations, and leads to the desks of more than one hundred thousand visitors from more than seventy countries on all continents

      Year 2010 started in Copenhagen on Friday, 18 Dec 2009 And now World Streets gears up for 2010 (Special edition)

      The UN Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen has given us ample reason to reflect not only on the climate/ governance and the climate/transport links – the latter which we have taken as a pillar of transport policy for some years now – but also on our own contribution here at World Streets to the strategic re-thinking and institutional re-tooling process that must now be engaged. A challenge

      Is World Streets worth continuing in 2010? We asked 100 experts for their views - - and 101 responded.

      Dateline Paris. 4 January 2010. We have just completed our first year of publication of World Streets. The results are there for all to see and judge. And we now know that we are going to need financial and other forms of support if we are to continue this international sustainability adventure. Is what we are doing useful and worthy of support? 101 of our readers picked up their pens and

      +331 7550 3788  eric.britton(at)newmobility.org   Skype: newmobility