Tribute to Streetsblog and New York City - Think Local, Act Local, Act Strong, Act Now!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2009

      In closing out the old year we would like to invite you all in your cities around the world to reflect on this. Something that our friends over at Streetsblog in New York City have just published and which is part of their long term commitment to drawing attention to the terrible injustices (the phrase is not too strong) our transportation arrangements and enforcement and legal systems are perpetrating on innocent pedestrians and cyclists on the streets of our cities every day. Shouldn't you be doing this too in your city?

      Have a look at this uncompromising, no excuses editorial that appeared yesterday in Streetsblog's New York City edition. You will see their sentence: "Of the 66 pedestrians, seven cyclists and one wheelchair user known to have died since January, in only 12 cases was the driver reportedly charged for taking a life." At least one city now has someone who is doing the arithmetic and making it public. Surely a first step in the process of redressing these outrageous wrongs.

      In Memoriam

      memoriam_array.jpg

      memoriam_2.jpg

      memoriam_3.jpg

      memoriam_4.jpg

      memoriam_5.jpg

      memoriam_6.jpg

      # # #

      Look at those faces. Think of those lives so terribly truncated, simply because we are not smart enough nor fair enough to do better. But it does not have to be that way.

      We know of course the answer to this: (a) Fewer cars on the street, moving far more slowly (we trap[ them through slow street architecture), far better protection for all others out on the street, and drivers who when at the wheel have the fear of their life of what will happen to them in the event they are the source of incident, injury or death. This coupled with (b) clear and simple laws, that are made widely known, together with draconian enforcement coupled with strict and immediate punishment which is comparable to the offenses committed. And no exceptions. Sometimes life is simple.

      The editor, World Streets

      --> Full text of this article appears in today’s World Streets at http://WorldStreets.org/

      --> Discussions on New Mobility Forum at www.newmobility.org  (Post to NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com)