Re: [WorldTransport] World Sustainable Cities - next steps

  • Elaine Fletcher
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2002

      As I last recall, the whole public transport privatization issue was tentatively scheduled to be the subject of a special edition of WTPP. So my apologies if this inquiry is a bit premature.

      However, at the moment, I am urgently looking for just one article on the internet or via e-mail that might summarize succintly some of the key problems with rail privatization that have arisen in Britain or Europe.

      Any help will be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Elaine Fletcher

    • speidel
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
        The Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice has some excellent articles about the issues involved in privatisation of public transport.

        They will also be able to assit you and send you links to relevant papers.

        Regards

        Rosemarie Speidel
        Program Director
        Cycling Promotion Fund
        Tel./Fax 03 97553557
        www.cyclingpromotion.com
        The bicycle industry working to make Australia more bicycle friendly

        As I last recall, the whole public transport privatization issue was tentatively scheduled to be the subject of a special edition of WTPP. So my apologies if this inquiry is a bit premature.

        However, at the moment, I am urgently looking for just one article on the internet or via e-mail that might summarize succintly some of the key problems with rail privatization that have arisen in Britain or Europe.

        Any help will be appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Elaine Fletcher

        Consult at: http://wTransport.org

      • ralph gakenheimer
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
          Elaine:
          I would suggest you contact Tony (antonio) Gomez Ibanez at the
          Kennedy School, Harvard U., who had sone a lot of work on this subject and
          has a chapter in a recent book (not at hand or in memory, unfortunately)
          that deals with the privatization experience in Britain.

          -- Ralph

          >As I last recall, the whole public transport privatization
          >issue was tentatively scheduled to be the subject of a special edition of
          >WTPP. So my apologies if this inquiry is a bit premature.
          >
          >However, at the moment, I am urgently looking for just one article on the
          >internet or via e-mail that might summarize succintly some of the key
          >problems with rail privatization that have arisen in Britain or Europe.
          >

          >Any help will be appreciated.
          >

          >Thanks,
          >

          >Elaine Fletcher
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1707209142:
          >HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1707209142:H
          >M/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>
          >The Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice
          >Consult at: <http://wTransport.org>http://wTransport.org
          >To post message to group: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com

          Ralph Gakenheimer, Professor of Urban Planning
          M.I.T. Building 10, Rm. 403, Cambridge, Mass. 02139
          (Off.) 617/253-1932, (Fax) 617/971-0421, (Home) 617/971-0420 rgaken@...
        • John Whitelegg
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
            Thanks to Elaine for raising this one.  We are still looking for a guest editor on this special issue.  This person would:

            prepare an outline of what the special issue would include and discuss this with me
            assemble a good mix of authors/articles and discuss balance with me
            supervise the production schedule until the point that the complete set of articles come to me and Pascal Desmond for the final check and publication.

            Is there anyone out there who would like to do this?

            very best wishes

            John Whitelegg
            Editor