transport and climate change

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009

      I think you misunderstood. My point is that the carbon negotiators have no authority, political or otherwise, to change transport. That’s what’s wrong. The transport people who matter are not “delegates” here and don’t sit in the meetings and make policies. That’s too bad. But I’m not sure they should be here. They should be making sensible transport policies as Simon recommends INDEPENDENT of the swirl of hot air and debate that will arise in Copenhagen . We can’t wait for a climate agreement to fix transport, and fixing transport will contribute to lower Co2 emissions without having to wait for the large economies to stop fighting!

      Lee Schipper

      Project Scientist, Global Met. Studies, UC Berkeley

      Sen. Res Eng., Precourt Energy Eff Ctr, Stanford U.

    • Lee Schipper
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009

        Hope there was a typo below. Hope you meant mode-SHIFT!

        Another worry I have is that the present framework encourages projects that may show a carbon savings BUT NOT NECESSARILY a transport improvement.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009
          Lee Schipper, I'm still not sure that I understand you, but let me try to
          restate my point of view more clearly so that you can see whether it accords
          with what you are trying to say.

          Most of us recognise that a car based transport system is utterly dysfunctional,
          and the opportunity to reduce greenhouse gas emissions is therefore a co-benefit
          of what needs to be done anyway.

          However, there are those who believe that private motor transport is essential
          to civilisation. These people, assuming they are not climate change deniers,
          will therefore have their eye on technological means of reducing emissions,
          which are more costly and which will have a more limited scope.

          Transport activists need to lobby climate change negotiators to ensure that they
          recognise that this is not so. Then they will be willing to contemplate a more
          sustainable transport system in addition to other means of reducing emissions,
          and, hopefully, confront the car lobbyists who currently pervade most of our
          governments.

          We may be able to persuade them, further, that a better quality of life is
          possible in a low car society, but for them it will be the better quality of
          life that is the co-benefit of a policy that will, I hope, help to reduce our
          greenhouse gas emissions below the danger level.

          Simon Norton