RE: WorldTransport Forum Car free living in eastern Europe

  • David Stein
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2009
      For data on transit use trends and other sustainable transport topics concerning Central and Eastern Europe check out:

      Regional Environmental Center
      for Central and Eastern Europe (REC)
      http://www.rec.org

      or the Central European Initiative
      (section on muti-modal transport)
      http://www.ceinet.org

      Also, the OECD might have good sources as well.

      D. Stein

      To: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
      From: rene.schoenemann@...
      Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:27:13 +0000
      Subject: WorldTransport Forum Car free living in eastern Europe

      Dear readers,

      for years it was common to say that in a modern society everybody needs access to a car. Now I read that in Germany one in ten does not want to have a car which is a quite remarkable number. Only one third of the car free households said that they cannot afford a car.

      This changing in the people's views means that a car is not considered as a status symbol any more.

      Now, my question is whether anybody has some information about the situation in the eastern European countries? There, people could not afford a car for long and still it is seen as an expression of extravagance. I suppose there might also be a movement towards more ecological mobility but it has much less power than in other countries. The eastern European countries now have the great chance not to repeat the same mistakes as we did in the 60's and 70's in western Europe. How great is the opportunity that they may learn from other people's mistakes than making their own?

      René Schönemann

      Windows 7: Finden Sie den richtigen PC. Erfahren Sie mehr darüber.