Re: WorldTransport Forum Car free living in eastern Europe

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2009
      > This changing in the people's views means that a car is not considered as
      > a status symbol any more.

      There has been a saying that has been used to explain how our society got so
      structured for cars, not people:

      "There are two kinds of people. Those who own cars, and those who wish they
      did."

      Now there is a change in this, due to frustrations, and we get a chance to
      test out a variation of the saying:

      "There are two kinds of people. Those who can live without a car, and those
      who wish they could."

      This new reality/sensibility might be the basis for finding a coalition for
      returning our communities to walk-first, all-inclusive, clean, quiet
      environments.

      Chris Bradshaw
      @ottawalk
    • David Stein
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2009
        For data on transit use trends and other sustainable transport topics concerning Central and Eastern Europe check out:

        Regional Environmental Center
        for Central and Eastern Europe (REC)
        http://www.rec.org

        or the Central European Initiative
        (section on muti-modal transport)
        http://www.ceinet.org

        Also, the OECD might have good sources as well.

        D. Stein

        To: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
        From: rene.schoenemann@...
        Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:27:13 +0000
        Subject: WorldTransport Forum Car free living in eastern Europe

        Dear readers,

        for years it was common to say that in a modern society everybody needs access to a car. Now I read that in Germany one in ten does not want to have a car which is a quite remarkable number. Only one third of the car free households said that they cannot afford a car.

        This changing in the people's views means that a car is not considered as a status symbol any more.

        Now, my question is whether anybody has some information about the situation in the eastern European countries? There, people could not afford a car for long and still it is seen as an expression of extravagance. I suppose there might also be a movement towards more ecological mobility but it has much less power than in other countries. The eastern European countries now have the great chance not to repeat the same mistakes as we did in the 60's and 70's in western Europe. How great is the opportunity that they may learn from other people's mistakes than making their own?

        René Schönemann

        Windows 7: Finden Sie den richtigen PC. Erfahren Sie mehr darüber.