[World Streets] Short Take: Stealing from pedestrians

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2009

      World Streets Short Takes: Stealing from pedestrians

      "One of my great interests is time reallocation in an urban system. All I mean by this is that when I walk across parts of London which I do most weeks it is quite clear that the amount of time I stand still and do not move as traffic hurtles past is very large. I estimate it is about 50% of my journey time. That means that even in a congestion charge best practice world my time is being stolen to reward drivers with time savings. I want the theft halted and the system re-prioritised to reward pedestrians and cyclists."
      - John Whitelegg, Editor, World Transport Policy and Practice

      # # #

      Short Takes is a new series from World Streets. One hundred or less well chosen words, putting before us a single point well worth bearing in mind as we struggle toward more sustainable and livable cities.

      Have a candidate for publication? Contact our editor via editor@...

      --> Full text of this article appears in today’s World Streets at http://WorldStreets.org/

      Posted By Eric Britton to World Streets at 10/19/2009 04:00:00 PM