World Sustainable Cities - next steps

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2002

      Paris, Thursday, July 11, 2002

      Dear Friends,

      If you turn to http://ngroups.com/stockholm today, you will see that the World Sustainable Cities Consortium follow-up to the Stockholm Partnerships June events is now up and ready to go.  It is our view that this is a potentially useful tool for those working in the area of transport, mobility and logistics as an efficient ‘big picture’ source, which can be useful to you both for the information it offers and the networks that it is building up.  As I hope you will see, the goal is to work toward a truly useful, pragmatic and encouraging World Sustainable Cities Innovations Knowledgebase (itself surely linked in many new ways to the growing number of other information projects and sources springing up around the world).

      Once you have had a look around the site, including checking out the projects and teams already on board and the way in which all this works, we invite you to click the Sign In link and log in yourself or your group (as Sustainability Advocates) or perhaps a specific ongoing project. .  For this you will need an Authorization, which has been set for the Partner Projects as 748596.

      The entire sign-in procedure should take you no more of ten minutes to get started,  Once you submit, you may wish to have a good look at your entry, and if you wish to revise or extend at any point you can do so (for example in order to add your Messages). You will need your login in and password, but don’t worry, within minutes of making your initial entry you will receive an email reminder of both.

      We hope that you are going to find this new group site interesting as well as useful.  Since there is a lot there, permit me to draw a couple of things to your attention:

      1. The use of a Mosaic to show people and projects is, we think, a powerful information tool, and you may want to experiment a bit with making a couple of your own Sustainable Cities Mosaics based on your own criteria. At present with not quite 70 intitial entries just in, this is not as yet quite so interesting, but image how useful it will be when there are hundreds of projects in so many categories, places and stages of development.
      2. A quick tour of the following might also provide of some interest:

      ·         The Quick User Survey and its questions about and positions on the forthcoming World Summit in Johannesburg

      ·         The Challenge Essays and Projects in Peril rubrics while just getting started are already perhaps worth a quick visit.

      ·         The World Cities Links listing already identifies some three dozen leading organizations working ion the cities agenda in a variety of ways.  While this is already of interest as a reference, it will be come even more so if you give us your candidates to be added.

      We know that you are very busy and that your time is scarce, but we are confident that you are going to find this a useful experience and that there are many interesting things we will be able to learn and do together. The easy answer to being kept up to date efficiently is to sign up for the Newsletter, which we promise will never be sent more that once a month, and even then with real attention to putting before you only exception information on resources, projects and events that will be of potential use to you in your own challenges.

      And as always we would like to invite you to share with us your critical ideas and suggestions as to how we can make this better and more useful for you.  That after all is what it is all about.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

      The World Sustainable Cities Consortium

      At http://ngroups.com/stockholm

      The Commons __ technology, economy, society__

      Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79

      24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +1 888 677-4866

      http://ecoplan.org/   IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.63

      Email: ecoplan.adsl@...    URL www.ecoplan.org

    • Elaine Fletcher
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2002

        As I last recall, the whole public transport privatization issue was tentatively scheduled to be the subject of a special edition of WTPP. So my apologies if this inquiry is a bit premature.

        However, at the moment, I am urgently looking for just one article on the internet or via e-mail that might summarize succintly some of the key problems with rail privatization that have arisen in Britain or Europe.

        Any help will be appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Elaine Fletcher

      • speidel
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
          The Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice has some excellent articles about the issues involved in privatisation of public transport.

          They will also be able to assit you and send you links to relevant papers.

          Regards

          Rosemarie Speidel
          Program Director
          Cycling Promotion Fund
          Tel./Fax 03 97553557
          www.cyclingpromotion.com
          The bicycle industry working to make Australia more bicycle friendly

          As I last recall, the whole public transport privatization issue was tentatively scheduled to be the subject of a special edition of WTPP. So my apologies if this inquiry is a bit premature.

          However, at the moment, I am urgently looking for just one article on the internet or via e-mail that might summarize succintly some of the key problems with rail privatization that have arisen in Britain or Europe.

          Any help will be appreciated.

          Thanks,

          Elaine Fletcher

          Consult at: http://wTransport.org

        • ralph gakenheimer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2002
            Elaine:
            I would suggest you contact Tony (antonio) Gomez Ibanez at the
            Kennedy School, Harvard U., who had sone a lot of work on this subject and
            has a chapter in a recent book (not at hand or in memory, unfortunately)
            that deals with the privatization experience in Britain.

            -- Ralph

            >As I last recall, the whole public transport privatization
            >issue was tentatively scheduled to be the subject of a special edition of
            >WTPP. So my apologies if this inquiry is a bit premature.
            >
            >However, at the moment, I am urgently looking for just one article on the
            >internet or via e-mail that might summarize succintly some of the key
            >problems with rail privatization that have arisen in Britain or Europe.
            >

            >Any help will be appreciated.
            >

            >Thanks,
            >

            >Elaine Fletcher
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
            ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1707209142:
            >HM/A=810327/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>
            ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1707209142:H
            >M/A=810327/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>
            >The Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice
            >Consult at: <http://wTransport.org>http://wTransport.org
            >To post message to group: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com

            Ralph Gakenheimer, Professor of Urban Planning
            M.I.T. Building 10, Rm. 403, Cambridge, Mass. 02139
            (Off.) 617/253-1932, (Fax) 617/971-0421, (Home) 617/971-0420 rgaken@...
          • John Whitelegg
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
              Thanks to Elaine for raising this one.  We are still looking for a guest editor on this special issue.  This person would:

              prepare an outline of what the special issue would include and discuss this with me
              assemble a good mix of authors/articles and discuss balance with me
              supervise the production schedule until the point that the complete set of articles come to me and Pascal Desmond for the final check and publication.

              Is there anyone out there who would like to do this?

              very best wishes

              John Whitelegg
              Editor