[World Streets] Home Location , Smart Growth and Sustainable Transport

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2009

      A significant key to sustainable transport resides in our land use. And what more important land use decision than where we chose to live, the place in which we start or end the lion's share of our personal travel each day? In this article our guest Todd Litman of the Victoria Transport Policy Institute sheds some judicious light on claims and counter-claims of Smart Growth, as true in Delhi, Moscow or Cape Town as in North America.

      --> The full text of this article appears today in World Streets at http://WorldStreets.org/

      --> To see who is writing on World Streets click to http://tinyurl.com/ws-authors

    • David Stein
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2009

        Interesting scientific read on how a city's complexity parallels the development of the human brain: Its not overall physical size that matters; rather it depends on the number of neural networks it has. Although I disagree with the article's comparison using a complex highway networks a city should have as an example. Perhaps instead we should substitute number of options one can have to travel within a city including walking cycling and public transportation??? --with the shortness of a route being comparable to the efficiency in which the brain processes complex thoughts. Hence, we could then we have a true example for applying Smart Growth... Its all inside our heads.

        http://www.world-science.net/othernews/090905_cities-brains.htm

        To: WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com
        From: eric.britton@...
        Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:12:05 +0200
        Subject: WorldTransport Forum [World Streets] Home Location , Smart Growth and Sustainable Transport

        A significant key to sustainable transport resides in our land use. And what more important land use decision than where we chose to live, the place in which we start or end the lion's share of our personal travel each day? In this article our guest Todd Litman of the Victoria Transport Policy Institute sheds some judicious light on claims and counter-claims of Smart Growth, as true in Delhi, Moscow or Cape Town as in North America.

        --> The full text of this article appears today in World Streets at http://WorldStreets .org/

        --> To see who is writing on World Streets click to http://tinyurl. com/ws-authors

        Hol dir noch heute die neue Beta des Windows Live Messengers! Hier klicken!