[World Streets] John Whitelegg on The global transport challenge

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2009

        World Streets: Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      John Whitelegg on The global transport challenge

      The world’s transport system wastes lives, health, and money – and is choking the planet. There is a world transport crisis. Three thousand people are killed every day in road-traffic accidents, air pollution from vehicles is bathing our cities in a chemical soup and deaths from respiratory diseases exceed deaths in traffic accidents. Citizens need to take control.

      - John Whitelegg, Editor, World Transport Policy and Practice

      This would be a high price to pay for a perfectly functioning transport system that delivers people and goods speedily and efficiently but this is not the case. All countries and cities spend a lot of money for a transport “solution” that has failed. In a rare example of global unity and shared experience car commuters in Los Angeles are stuck in traffic jams in the same way as they are in Bangkok, Delhi, Beijing and Rio.

      Our highway-based transport systems purchased at huge expense are failing miserably to deliver anything. We have created a very expensive way of organising transport in cities, one that is grossly inefficient and one that exacts a terrible penalty in deaths, injuries and lifetime disability.

      --> The full text of this article appears in World Streets today at http://WorldStreets.org/