[World Streets] Public Bikes in Latin American Cities: What next?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009

      We are seeing some pretty good city-size public bike systems on the streets of places like Paris, Barcelona, Lyon, and more recently Montreal -- and more than fifty smaller systems, most of which in Europe and all doing a pretty fair job at what they have set out to do. That's just fine. But what about the mega-cities of Latin America?

      Will shared bike projects work out there? And if they are to have a shot at success how should they be planned, configured, implemented and then made to do the job day after day in the full stream of the continent's exciting traffic and city life.

      That was the issue that Eric Britton of the New Mobility Partnerships and World Streets was asked to address in an open brainstorm organized by the WRI EMBARQ team in Cuernavaca Mexico on 2 July 2009.