Re: WorldTransport Forum [world streets] 86 Principal Voices talk about World Streets

  • Aaron Thomas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2009
      I would like to respond to Eric's excellent formulation of the question, "Who are going to be the main actors leading the transition to sustainable transportation in and around our cities? at World Streets." http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/06/dialogue-who-is-going-to-take-lead.html

      What if we took a 6-sigma approach, and look for the bottlenecks preventing an efficient transition to sustainable transport? I think we would see that there are a group of economic actors who hold the bottleneck. Followed by a gigantic amount of drivers in the world who are very tied to their cars (geographically, psychologically, etc.).

      Neoclassical economics points out that when a new arrangement is more efficient, there are resources available to compensate the groups losing out in that new arrangement. Is that possible here? (Companies and drivers have a -- at least minimally --- reasonable argument that they've taken investment decisions legally toward a car-centric world.) Are there economic efficiencies of a car-few or car-free world that would create possibilities to compensate these "most interested" groups, and so clear the bottlenecks?

      Wouldn't the shareholders of the car-centric companies be interested to hear about these?
      Wouldn't the drivers facing rising fuel and road taxes also be interested?

      with good wishes,
      Aaron