[world streets] 86 Principal Voices talk about World Streets

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6 3:22 AM

      From World Streets – 6 July 2009

      86 Principal Voices talk about World Streets

      World Streets needs to catch on before my feet get wet. (Netherlands)

      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SjuC4O0wb4I/AAAAAAAAA74/FdSVOkd6CCo/s200/ws-crowd.jpgOn 19 June we invited our readers to provide short supporting messages concerning the contributions that World Streets is making to advance the new mobility agenda world-wide. Within a week more than 80 readers from 28 countries expressed their views on the importance of continuing the work of the planet's only sustainable transport daily. Listen to their voices. [Click here for full posting.]

      To access the full messages, click here. In the meantime you can find just below an A to Z of extracts from 26 of them.

      A.      Even the name World Streets captures the intensely local nature of these issues that nonetheless have a global impact. (Ireland)

      B.    The best interactive platform to envisioning the change the cities around the world needed to transform the transport sector. (Spain)

      C.    Two boys were playing football in my street earlier this week. What a wonderful sight. Time to reclaim our World Streets! (UK)

      D.    What would I do without World Streets? It's always a great read, a source of inspiration, information, a sense of community... (South Africa)

      E.    Offers an excellent information and exchange service to busy professionals and citizens’ organizations. (Chile)

      F.    A great source for making "new" knowledge about transport in towns and cities more visible and available to the interested politician, planner, engineer, professional, activist and citizen. (Iceland)

      G.    The best source in the world for sustainable mobility information. (Sweden)

      H.    World Streets – ruthless common sense. (India)

      I.        We desperately need this kind of AGORA where we can gather, fight, disagree, and finally agree on sensible transport solutions (USA)

      J.     A beacon of light showing the way to sustainable living. (USA)

      K.    We commend the tremendous work that World Streets  is doing. (Hong Kong)

      L.     Has radically changed my perspective about transport problems and possible solutions towards a sustainable future. (Brazil)

      M.   Wonderful to be reminded daily of being part of an international movement that is gathering momentum. (Singapore)

      N.    Will play an important role in molding professional and public opinion and strengthen the movement for equitable, sustainable cities. (India)

      O.    A great forum for sharing ideas about the many things we can do to make transport work better. (Australia)

      P.    A most useful resource that complements our work and provides support to our advisory projects in the developing world. (Germany)

      Q.    I can only hope that policy makers around the world will see this as a concrete example of going from idea to action – (Israel)

      R.    A perfect source for busy individuals bombarded with information-overload in this era of communication saturation (USA)

      S.    What we want - slow, shared, lively streets with lots of people on them. How we get it - supporting World Streets. (Sweden)

      T.     I admire you for the effort it takes to produce something as good, entertaining and useful as this. (Canada)

      U.    Keep it up¡ you are one of our last resources. (Colombia)

      V.    So useful that I am setting up an Italian version of it, thanks to Eric's strong and continuous support. (Italy)

      W.   We would certainly be poorer without it. (UK)

      X.    When I look at World Streets I wonder why it wasn’t done before, because it’s so obvious that we need an international platform like this! (Spain)

      Y.    Passion is great, financial support makes the passion available for the long term. (Netherlands)

      Z.    World Streets needs to catch on before my feet get wet. (Netherlands)

      Quick update on Streets for the record:

      1.     What is World Streets?

      a.     The planet’s only daily newspaper given over to a single issue: Sustainable transportation, sustainable cities, and sustainable lives (they all go together, you can’t separate them)

      b.    Appears five days a week First issue published on 2 March and since visited more than 40,000 times.

      c.     And oh yes, it’s free (one less barrier to creating a sustainable world)

      d.    Offers insights and contributions from leading thinkers and practitioners around the world (our carefully established international networks)

      e.     Complete independence of any interests, government, political, commercial or others allows us to report things exactly as we see them.

      f.     Builds on foundation of 21 years of international networking and collaborative problem-solving in this area under the New Mobility Agenda – www.newmobility.org

      g.    Reader visits: March – 8,824. April – 9,806. May – 10, 850. June – 13, 225.

      h.     Countries: More than 40. See this morning’s hit map below for example.

      i.      You may want to scroll down through the last dozen postings you will see there to get a feel for how it works: content, quality, focus, angle.

      j.      First country/language spin-off: Nuova Mobilità about to start up in Italy at http://nuovamobilita.org

      2.      Who picked up a copy of World Streets this morning?

      cid:image002.png@01C9FB07.16EBE130

      ·                     [Click here for full posting.]

    • Aaron Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6 3:37 PM
        I would like to respond to Eric's excellent formulation of the question, "Who are going to be the main actors leading the transition to sustainable transportation in and around our cities? at World Streets." http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/06/dialogue-who-is-going-to-take-lead.html

        What if we took a 6-sigma approach, and look for the bottlenecks preventing an efficient transition to sustainable transport? I think we would see that there are a group of economic actors who hold the bottleneck. Followed by a gigantic amount of drivers in the world who are very tied to their cars (geographically, psychologically, etc.).

        Neoclassical economics points out that when a new arrangement is more efficient, there are resources available to compensate the groups losing out in that new arrangement. Is that possible here? (Companies and drivers have a -- at least minimally --- reasonable argument that they've taken investment decisions legally toward a car-centric world.) Are there economic efficiencies of a car-few or car-free world that would create possibilities to compensate these "most interested" groups, and so clear the bottlenecks?

        Wouldn't the shareholders of the car-centric companies be interested to hear about these?
        Wouldn't the drivers facing rising fuel and road taxes also be interested?

        with good wishes,
        Aaron