Re: [WorldTransport] Britainand public Transport deregulation

  • tonyvickers@cix.co.uk
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2002
      I would be very sceptical about rosy reports of British transport
      deregulation. There has been a huge increase in passengers numbers on
      commuter trains but that is more to do with restrictions on road building
      and shortage of affordable housing in south-east England.

      If you asked most ordinary people whether deregulation had been a success,
      I'm pretty sure they's say 'No Way!'.

      Tony Vickers
    • kt.freeman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
        Hello John -

        The newly created SW Passenger Transport Users' Forum stared bus competition in the face recently on a fact finding mission to OFT.  The attached are my notes to Stephen Joseph.  This was not intended as presentatition of evidence of where it is going wrong but rather understanding the philosophy/dogma better behind the mess.

        Also attached are Stephen's notes on reform of the industry arising from a number of regional TAR efforts to find a platform - a theme that might get somewhere at last.  I think a very wide alliance might grow out of this.

        The topic is well overdue.

        Best wishes

        Kate
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002

          Paris, Tuesday, July 02, 2002

          Dear Friends,

          It’s very good indeed to see such a range of ideas and positions coming out of the wtpp woodwork on this, and it is beginning to look like we will have the stuff of a major special edition on the topic.  One small wrinkle that might be important will be to ensure that while we may want to take Britain as our main straw person on this, that at the end of the day perhaps no more than half the content should be aimed at your blessed plot, your earth, your realm, your… It’s my guess that things become real interesting when other country experiences and lessons are melded in, so that we can then stand back and say with some authority and perspective what it is we may then have to say.

          It should also be fun (my position) if we stand back and let one or two of the folks who think that ‘lightly fettered market competition’ is the way to go also have their say.  Let’s give them an opportunity tell us about the successes and the right way to do this.

          One quick point though, when it comes to buses, if I may (and rail to while I’m at it).  I must confess that I always get a little antsy when the city transportation discussion is phrased in terms that suggest that the only choice is between the poles of a binary universe, with good old (or bad old, depending on your position in all this) cars at one end, and then standing there sullenly at the other what might possibly from now on be known as GUT (Group Unrapid Transit), by which I mean stuff that we expect second class citizens (no more honest term for it) to slog over and then stand and wait (to be repeated at the other end of the slog).  After all we are already a big bite into the new century and there is a huge armory of technologies and enterprise arrangements that we could be inventing and bringing on line to provide truly first class non-private car transport.  After all, moving people and goods in and around cities is above all a question of logistics.  And logistics is something that the 21st century is really very good at.  So all we need to do is start to act our Age, and in the face of our inventiveness a lot of these barriers and problems can be broken down.

          But that of course is an issue for another day (for another Issue, actually).  Now on to the topic that we are beginning to define in these exchanges, and for which I hope that we can shortly begin to scratch out a list of topics, authors, and perhaps ever a brave and able Guest Editor to run the whole show.

          Perhaps it will be a good moment now to suggest that future correspondence of detail on this topic be directed to our editor in chief, John Whitelegg at ecologic@..., with if possible a copy to me at eric.britton@....  We can then keep the list apprised of progress at key intervals.  Which should prove very interesting indeed.

          Eric Britton

          (PS. If the above does not read quite like proper English, it is because it has been translated directly from the original French.  Sorry.)

          The Electronic Edition is at http://wTransport.org

          The Commons __ technology, economy, society__

          Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 8096 7879

          24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +1 888 677-4866

          IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.63

          Email: mail@... or ecoplan.adsl@...