Re: WorldTransport Forum Train can be worse for climate than plane

  • Anzir Boodoo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2009
      On 11 Jun 2009, at 12:04, Ian wrote:

      > A report circulating under the heading "Train can be worse for
      > climate than plane", claims that when the "full life-cycle"
      > emissions generated infrastructure, fuel production and supply
      > chains are compared, a train emits is more environmentally damaging
      > than a plane.

      Something similar is doing the rounds with the Chartered Institute of
      Logistics and Transport (UK) - assuming a 100% coal generation mix,
      and load factors averaging 40% (which will be well over double that on
      some trains) for train and 100% for plane, and ignoring radiative
      forcing, train comes out slightly worse than plane for London -
      Edinburgh.

      However, the fact this ignores so many variables mean this is a
      useless conclusion in my opinion - I made a submission on behalf of
      CILT(UK) a couple of months ago against the proposed expansion in
      capacity of our local airport (Leeds-Bradford), so keep an interest in
      this.

      --
      Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
      Policy Officer (West & North Yorkshire), The Chartered Institute of