air v rail

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11 6:09 AM
      The University of California report was mentioned on another list so I was
      already aware of it. I agree with Ian's conclusions.

      I haven't looked through the report, but have the following factors been taken
      into account:

      (a) The network of airports is far less dense than that of rail stations, so an
      air based transport system would still need supplementary vehicles to carry
      people to/from their nearest airport.
      (b) I suspect that the proportion of air travellers who drive to/from the
      airport is much greater than the proportion of rail travellers, leading to yet
      more emissions.
      (c) Trains typically have a much smaller load factor than planes, so there is
      more potential for improving their environmental performance by increasing
      usage.

      Simon Norton