[World Streets] This Week on the Street. 2-8 March 2009

  • ericbritton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2009

      World Streets on a single page. Highlights selected articles appearing over week, with direct links to full text, illustrations and media. Want more? Click to www.worldstreets.org

      Welcome to World Streets: -> First time visitors invited to start here

      The 21st century newspaper that has a single job: to provide you with high quality, readable, concise food for thought, and leads specifically on the topics of sustainable mobility, sustainable cities, and . . .

      From the Leading Edge: -> America before streets were civilized.

      Looking back at 2009 from the closing days of Barrack Obama’s presidency, it is sometimes surprising to appreciate how much has changed in the relationship between people, places and traffic, . . .

      Leadership Profiles: -> Denis Baupin: a driving force to change Paris

      As transportation chief of the French capital for seven years, Baupin was the force behind the development of Paris's hugely successful bicycle-sharing program, Vélib'.

      Honk: ->The traffic in your mind

      Our first-ever Honk! a 42 second video prepared by the Mobizen carshare company, to get across the idea that carsharing is just a bit different from the old way we used to do it,

      Cross-Blog Dialogue: ->The No-Excuses Zone

      Gordon Price in Vancouver introduces the No-Excuse Zone for urban cycling, which he in turn picked up from colleagues in Australia (more evidence of the small world syndrome).

      Bad News Department: -> The reported demise of world’s largest city bike project

      We look at a spate of bad reporting on what is however a legitimate problems threatening public bike sites around the world: vandalism and theft. But as you will see the patient is very much out and around.

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)