RE: [WorldTransport] Britainand public Transport deregulation

  • patrice.husson@cec.eu.int
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2002
      John:

      Le taux de ponctualité des CFL (Luxembourg) a été de 92,3 % en 2000 (voir page 22 de http://www.cfl.lu/f/corporate/cfl_rapport_2000.pdf).

      Please read other interesting facts at http://www.cfl.lu

      Britain is maybe not the only experience to consider?

      Best,

      pach
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2002
        Hi all!

        måndagen den 24 juni 2002 kl 07.32 skrev John Whitelegg:

        > Dear Colleagues,
        >
        > Many thanks to Elaine for this.  I think it emphasises the need for this
        > special issue.  The British experience has produced:
        >
        > record levels of unreliability and lack of punctuality
        > record levels of passenger complaints
        > very high rail fares
        > a bankrupt and incompetent Railtrack authority
        > more rail passengers
        > more rail freight
        > 5 fatal accidents due to poor track, poor signals and poor quality control
        > large tax subsidies to private companies (larger than in the days of
        > British Rail)

        Sweden has chosen another way, dividing the railway system into three
        different parts. We have kept the maintanance and ownership, and security
        of the tracks in the hands of the State, but opened up the tracks for
        competition. Thus far, all's been well. The old railway company, 'State
        Railways', SJ, dominates the market, but is doing so in fierce competition
        with several private companies. The 'Svealand track' has increased the
        passenger volume sixfold the latest years after a major upgrade. The State
        keeps control of security on the tracks via the 'Railway inspection'. The
        system is under debate at the moment, since SJ still is dominating, and
        the security could be better. The tracks are planned, maintained and built
        by 'Banverket', via lots of private undertakers.

        I think it will be possible to find someone from 'Rail Forum Sweden' to
        write about all this. Should I ask them, or do anyone of you have contacts
        there as well?

        Med vänlig hälsning,
        Peter Markusson

        -----------------------------
        Ekokompaniet
        Rådgivning - Bildelning - Miljö
        (Advice - Carsharing - Environment)

        Hemsidor/Homepages:
        http://www.ekokompaniet.se/
        http://www.bildelning.nu/

        Tel: +46 (0)31 775 26 36

        Postadress/Mail:
        Svalebogatan 16
        414 75 Göteborg

        Besöksadress/Visitors:
        Corps de Logiet, vån. 2
        Klippan 6, Göteborg
      • Wendell Cox
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2002
          John...

          Tried to get this through to you privately, but cannot get through.

          Look forward to this issue and would hope to submit an article that would offer a somewhat different perspective. Please let me know deadlines and requirements.

          Best regards,
          Wendell Cox
          Member,
          Amtrak Reform Council

          DEMOGRAPHIA (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
          +1.618.632.8507 Fax +1.810.821.8134
          "People should have the freedom to live and work where and how they like."

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 24, 2002
            Dear all,

            Of course, this discussion echoes widely here in the US, with the Amtrak
            crisis at boiling point...

            If the focus is, as originally posted, on the overall experiences with
            Deregulation of Public Transport, then I would like to support the idea
            that viewing the British Experience in International perspective is
            particularly important. This is, perhaps, most important in the developing
            country context, where, as Elaine points out, deregulation/privatization is
            a major policy thrust and where several good, bad, and
            "as-yet-undetermined" examples exist.

            Regards,
            Chris Zegras

            At 10:29 AM 6/24/2002 +0200, patrice.husson@... wrote:
            >John:
            >
            >Le taux de ponctualité des CFL (Luxembourg) a été de 92,3 % en 2000 (voir
            >page 22 de
            ><http://www.cfl.lu/f/corporate/cfl_rapport_2000.pdf>http://www.cfl.lu/f/corporate/cfl_rapport_2000.pdf).
            >

            >Please read other interesting facts at <http://www.cfl.lu>http://www.cfl.lu
            >
            >Britain is maybe not the only experience to consider?
            >
            >Best,
            >
            >pach

            Christopher Zegras
            Research Associate
            MIT * Laboratory for Energy & the Environment * Room E40-468
            1 Amherst Street * Cambridge, MA 02139
            Tel: 617 258 6084 * Fax: 617 253 8013
          • tonyvickers@cix.co.uk
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 2002
              I would be very sceptical about rosy reports of British transport
              deregulation. There has been a huge increase in passengers numbers on
              commuter trains but that is more to do with restrictions on road building
              and shortage of affordable housing in south-east England.

              If you asked most ordinary people whether deregulation had been a success,
              I'm pretty sure they's say 'No Way!'.

              Tony Vickers
            • kt.freeman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2 12:23 AM
                Hello John -

                The newly created SW Passenger Transport Users' Forum stared bus competition in the face recently on a fact finding mission to OFT.  The attached are my notes to Stephen Joseph.  This was not intended as presentatition of evidence of where it is going wrong but rather understanding the philosophy/dogma better behind the mess.

                Also attached are Stephen's notes on reform of the industry arising from a number of regional TAR efforts to find a platform - a theme that might get somewhere at last.  I think a very wide alliance might grow out of this.

                The topic is well overdue.

                Best wishes

                Kate

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2 6:26 AM

                  Paris, Tuesday, July 02, 2002

                  Dear Friends,

                  It’s very good indeed to see such a range of ideas and positions coming out of the wtpp woodwork on this, and it is beginning to look like we will have the stuff of a major special edition on the topic.  One small wrinkle that might be important will be to ensure that while we may want to take Britain as our main straw person on this, that at the end of the day perhaps no more than half the content should be aimed at your blessed plot, your earth, your realm, your… It’s my guess that things become real interesting when other country experiences and lessons are melded in, so that we can then stand back and say with some authority and perspective what it is we may then have to say.

                  It should also be fun (my position) if we stand back and let one or two of the folks who think that ‘lightly fettered market competition’ is the way to go also have their say.  Let’s give them an opportunity tell us about the successes and the right way to do this.

                  One quick point though, when it comes to buses, if I may (and rail to while I’m at it).  I must confess that I always get a little antsy when the city transportation discussion is phrased in terms that suggest that the only choice is between the poles of a binary universe, with good old (or bad old, depending on your position in all this) cars at one end, and then standing there sullenly at the other what might possibly from now on be known as GUT (Group Unrapid Transit), by which I mean stuff that we expect second class citizens (no more honest term for it) to slog over and then stand and wait (to be repeated at the other end of the slog).  After all we are already a big bite into the new century and there is a huge armory of technologies and enterprise arrangements that we could be inventing and bringing on line to provide truly first class non-private car transport.  After all, moving people and goods in and around cities is above all a question of logistics.  And logistics is something that the 21st century is really very good at.  So all we need to do is start to act our Age, and in the face of our inventiveness a lot of these barriers and problems can be broken down.

                  But that of course is an issue for another day (for another Issue, actually).  Now on to the topic that we are beginning to define in these exchanges, and for which I hope that we can shortly begin to scratch out a list of topics, authors, and perhaps ever a brave and able Guest Editor to run the whole show.

                  Perhaps it will be a good moment now to suggest that future correspondence of detail on this topic be directed to our editor in chief, John Whitelegg at ecologic@..., with if possible a copy to me at eric.britton@....  We can then keep the list apprised of progress at key intervals.  Which should prove very interesting indeed.

                  Eric Britton

                  (PS. If the above does not read quite like proper English, it is because it has been translated directly from the original French.  Sorry.)

                  The Electronic Edition is at http://wTransport.org

                  The Commons __ technology, economy, society__

                  Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 8096 7879

                  24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +1 888 677-4866

                  IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.63

                  Email: mail@... or ecoplan.adsl@...