Re: WorldTransport Forum Looking for information on alternative vehicle studies

  • ablair@region.waterloo.on.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2009
      While there are a number of different studies through the Urban
      Transportation Showcase Program in Canada, the one that may be of most
      interest here is from Quebec City where they used a number of electric
      minibuses in the Old Quebec area. A link to this program is here:
      http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/environment/utsp/quebec.htm

      The UTSP site gives some information on the project (as well as others).
      There should also be a contact for the staff in Quebec City who could give
      you more details on their results.

      Blair Allen
      Grand River Transit
      Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

      "Eric Britton"
      <eric.britton@eco
      plan.org> To
      Sent by: <NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com>,
      WorldTransport@ya <WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com>
      hoogroups.com cc

      Subject
      18/02/2009 06:37 WorldTransport Forum Looking for
      AM information on alternative vehicle
      studies

      Please respond to
      WorldTransport@ya
      hoogroups.com

      On Behalf Of Graff, Robert
      Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:47 PM

      Colleagues:

      I work for the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Greater Philadelphia,
      PA, metropolitan area. Our region is located on the US east coast, about halfway
      between New York and Washington, DC. We have about 6 million residents, and are
      the 5th or 6th largest region in the US.

      I have been asked to manage a small study looking at the "expected challenges and
      opportunities for the introduction to our region of alternatives to the current
      vehicle mix in order to inform policies that will allow our region to most
      effectively facilitate benefit from their introduction."

      The project description is copied below.

      I would greatly appreciate pointers toward any research or studies that might
      help.

      Feel free to respond directly to me at rgraff@... or to the list in general.

      Thanks in advance.

      With best regards,

      Rob

      Rob Graff
      Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
      rgraff@...

      PROJECT: 10-xx-xxx Alternative Vehicles

      Responsible Agency: Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission

      Project Coordinator: Robert Graff

      Project Managers: Patricia Elkis

      Goals:

      This project will:

      - Begin to prepare the region for the advent of a future vehicle mix which is
      likely to be more heterogeneous than our current mix, which is largely limited to
      enclosed vehicles with four or more wheels using internal combustion engines
      burning gasoline.

      - Catalog the expected challenges and opportunities for the introduction to our
      region of alternatives to the current vehicle mix in order to inform policies that
      will allow our region to most effectively facilitate benefit from their
      introduction

      Many observers expect that we are entering an era when the global supply of fossil
      fuel will become increasingly uncertain, with price fluctuations and a long-term
      increase in prices. In addition, concerns about levels of carbon dioxide in the
      atmosphere are expected to lead to regulation of carbon dioxide emissions. Many
      expect the combination of these forces will lead over time to a change in the mix
      of propulsion systems for the vehicles that use our road network. Currently, that
      mix is dominated by enclosed vehicles with four or more wheels using internal
      combustion engines burning gasoline.

      This project will review readily available literature and data to seek answers to
      several key questions about possible future vehicle mixes, including electric
      vehicles:

      What are current expectations about the likely types of alternatives to the
      fossil-fuel burning internal combustion engine?

      What are the salient characteristics of these alternatives? How will they operate
      differently on the road network?

      What portion of trips currently made by users of our road network will be amenable
      to the various alternatives?

      What, if any, are the implications for our region for fueling these vehicles
      (e.g., charging stations, distribution of alternative liquid fuels)?

      What are likely to be the implications for parking systems?

      What are the air quality implications for various alternative vehicles?

      What are implications for the region’s economy of this emerging sector?

      What role is appropriate for DVRPC to play in promoting or preparing the region
      for alternative vehicles?

      Tasks:

      1. Data collection and interpretation, such as:

      - Information on the salient characteristics of emerging vehicle types most likely
      to be on roads in the DVRPC region in the next decade, including vehicles
      currently in use here in limited numbers, vehicles in use elsewhere in the world,
      and vehicles being actively prototyped.

      - Usage patterns of vehicles in the region today, including trip length, daily
      mileage, and household vehicle sharing.

      - Information on where cars are currently parked at night and throughout the
      course of the day, including basic characteristics of those facilities.

      - Other information needed to address the questions outline above.

      2. Evaluation of measures and strategies that might be considered for promoting or
      preparing the region for alternative vehicles, such as:

      - Opportunities and challenges for fleets, including taxis, rental cars, delivery
      vehicles, and government fleet.

      - Opportunities and challenges for local production of entire vehicles or vehicle
      components.

      - Implications of measures and strategies for DVRPC activities.

      - Implications for county and municipal operations, including zoning and codes.

      The scope of this project is primarily limited to reviewing, compiling,
      organizing, and summarizing existing studies and information from the DVRPC region
      and other regions. If funds permit, limited original research may be undertaken.

      Products:

      1. Report on the opportunities and challenges for our region of the introduction
      of alternative vehicles.

      Beneficiaries:

      Member governments; DVRPC planning professionals; state and federal agencies;
      municipal officials; citizens.