Messages to America - encouragement for contributors

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2009

      Messages to America:

      World-wide experience, ideas, hints, counsel, proposals and just plain good wishes for the incoming Obama transportation team”

      A very warm invitation to any and all of you to step in and help us develop the last rounds of "Messages" to complete the next stage of this great collaborative international project in support of sustainable transportation, sustainable cities, and sustainable lives.

      You can find full background including the latest working copy of the report in progress at www.messages.newmobility.org .  We have until 26 February to bring in the last of the 300-400 word contributions from colleagues around the world.

      For the first 70 messages already contributed and selected, coverage is extensive in many areas spot here are a couple that I would hope we could have more on:

      ·         Anything by or about women in transportation within the context of the overall project.  It is my view that we are still all too short in this important department, and also, to my shame, I seem to have been unsuccessful thus far in getting very many women as contributors.  So if you can help on this it would be especially appreciated.

      ·         Nothing thus far on telework or other ingenious ways of using communications technologies in order to eliminate at least some travel.

      ·         Nothing yet on Vision Zero or similar very strong projects which are aiming to achieve big advances in the very near term in our troubled sector.

      ·         And I would like to see more on imaginative use of the media to create a stronger and broader consensus for the move to sustainability.

      When you turn to the Messages document you will notice other areas in which we can do better, including hearing from more countries and cities that I would very much like to see represented, but let me take anymore of your time, thank you for your attention, and hope that we will be hearing from you in this great collaborative project in support of sustainable development and social justice.

      With all good wishes,

      Eric Britton

                             The New Mobility Agenda

      Photo of Velib showing the way in Paris traffic. From the Greening of Transport report.

                     Technology transforms time and space

                                                   . . . and our minds

        New Mobility Partnerships  – http://www.newmobility.org

            Europe:   8/10 rue Joseph Bara,     75006 Paris,  France

              T:  +331 4326 1323  or  +339 7044 4179   Skype: ericbritton

            USA:      9440 Readcrest Drive   Los Angeles, CA  90210

              T:  +1 310 601-8468    Skype : newmobility